20 BR feeding issue

steelshooter

I have just had a Rem 700 rebarrelled from 708 to 20 BR, it doesn't feed from the mag. When the rim of the case being pushed makes it to the shoulder of the case below it, it jumps out loose and is "flicked" into an awkward position. I have shortened the mag by blocking the rear but that has had no effect on this problem. I wonder would a HS Precision detachable mag be a better solution, has anyone got any experience with this?

The BR familiy of cases were designed as bench rest rounds where cartidges are single loaded. You may have better luck feeding from a mag designed to feed the .22-250. The Dashers seem to 'fit' better in those, don't know about the BRs which are a bit shorter.

I have just had a Rem 700 rebarrelled from 708 to 20 BR, it doesn't feed from the mag. When the rim of the case being pushed makes it to the shoulder of the case below it, it jumps out loose and is "flicked" into an awkward position. I have shortened the mag by blocking the rear but that has had no effect on this problem. I wonder would a HS Precision detachable mag be a better solution, has anyone got any experience with this?

All of the short fat cases are problematic as far as feeding, and the rails are difficult to
adjust perfect.

What I recommend on and short fat case is to find a center feed mag and have it installed.
the center feed mags hold the round instead of the rails on the action and can be adjusted to
feed perfectly buy simply bending the top of the mag in or out.

The other plus to the center feed, is less chance of bullet tip damage because it feeds straight
into the chamber.

All of my WSMs and WSSMs have center feed mags and I have no issues with feeding.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the info, you have both given me some food for thought. I will probably try a 22-250 center feed detachable mag, but at around $300 it may have to go on the back burner for a while (the other half just doesn't understand).

I ended up staying with the factory bottom metal and just tinkered with it until I got it working.
I spent many hours watching what happened as I closed the bolt and then I'd pull it apart and bend the mag box a little, put it together and repeat the process again. It isn't flawless, but works 90% of the time ( it only fails at the worst moments!).

May I ask why? I briefly thought of it since I have a bunch of brass already, but not sure. I really like what the br can do

Thanks

The 20x47 doesn't have the feeding problems that the BR does, I know a bloke with one which feeds reliably and I think it would be easier on throats than the 250.
The 20BR does everything you need in a 20 cal otherwise. That's the only reason I'd go for the 20x47. In fact, when the throat goes in this barrel I might even get it reamed out to 20x47.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.