2" x 12" groups?

Try this: Just for chuckles put down pressure on your scope with your hand when shooting with the bipod. You may see a big change in your group size. I have seen quite a few rifles shoot a much smaller and rounder group using this trick. If this works then you need to figure out how to change the position of where the bipod needs to be moved. (closer towards the trigger or closer to the muzzle). Also sometimes your load development can also help.

gun) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

joseph
I'll go one further.

If you encorporate your rifle sling so that you just loop your left elbow through it you put downward pressure on both ends of the rifle, directly over the bipod and rear bag/monopod.

You would be amazed how well this can steady things up.

Essentially you are hanging about 30lbs or more from those points if you have your sling adjusted properly.

I do this frequently shooting from the prone in the field with my left arm curled around where I use my left fist as a rear bag. As I tighten or relax my fist I have a very high degree of control over the vertical.

Well, got out and shot the RUM, figured out several things, I think!

First I tightened down the bi-pod alot, it defenitely felt more soild that way.

Second, I noticed that the stock touches the barrel right up at the tip, it's a friend's gun so we'll see what he wants to do.

Third, I shot with the new "bag" with the "ears" and that seemed to help alot as well with the side to side when it recoiled.

Wild Rose, I did something similar to what you said. I gripped the forearm tightly with my left hand and pulled down on it while I broke the shot. It actually felt pretty good.

This got me thinking, has anyone ever tried "slinging up" as they do in NRA High-Power and then using a bi-pod at the same time? I thought this would be similar to what your saying Wildrose except even tighter.

Thanks again, all of you, it is defenitely helping!

So I was reading another forum, "The Importance of Being Solid" and came up with this. It is super solid, but is there a dis-advantage of being too soild? It seemed to help alot, actually. What are some of your thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.