2 More Down!

yote doctor

Coyotes must have been extra hungry yesterday! Came running from a long ways off. This big male came into my calls from about a mile. Started the set with a couple howls. He came walking out of the draw to check it out. Followed it up with some distress and he made a B-line for us. I took him down with a neck shot arond 125yards.

Next set got interesting...
Used the same call tactics and just noticed this small (dot) moving from over a mile away. Got the binos up to double check and told my father inlaw (here we go again):D. This female came in trying to get downwind the entire time. Not to mention this whole time there were probably 150 cows spread out in front of us. So there we were with the coyote maybe 20 yards from being downwind and 30 or so cows between us. Did a lite series of calls and she stared right for us. I asked my partner in crime if he was ready and he wispered yes. I barked and she stopped. Im not joking when I say there was maybe a five ft window between to cows when he made the head shot. 135 yards. Whoooooooo.

Seems like a lot of room until you have both cows and the coyote in your crosshairs. Made for a great set!

007.jpg

003.jpg

I am shooting a Savage Predator Hunter max-1 in a 243 win. Topped with a SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP. The inlaw is shooting a Savage model 12 in a 243 win as well. Both are tack drivers. It has a Bell and Carlson stock on it and his own little paint job. Haha. Topped with a 10X SWFA SS. We decided to leave the AR and the 17 Rem in the truck because there is always a good chance of having to take a long shot on this ranch. I am using the 95 gr Bergers and he shoots the 105 A-Max.

How many have you thumped with the 95 VLD's to form an opinion on?

I've only got two with them, so not enough of a sample to come to a conclusion.

Alf

This was only my third coyote with the 95s. All I can say is it puts them down but not always fast. The double I got a couple weekends back were the other two. Post is (doubled on dogs)

The first dog was hit behind the shoulder and exited the gut. He had time to bite at his own intestines. The second dog was running straight away. Dont know point of entrance but it exited out the throat. Opened the whole throat up and she rolled. When I got down there she had actually got up a couple times and went 30-40 yards with good blood trail before she expired.

This big male I shot dropped and never moved... I have read this round opens 3-4in after penetration. Which explains all the damage being located just before exiting the hide.
I know they are strong #@&s but I have put dogs down easier with smaller calibers. Sometimes, not always. So.....

What have your results been on the two you took down?

First one called in was a average sized female, shot at around a 100 yards with a quartering at attitude, center chest and exit behind the off shoulder. Golf ball or touch bigger exit. No camera at the time.

Second one called in was average male, miss a gimmie broadside at a 100,(steep downhill shot just over, my story) but redeemed myself with a 200 yard hauling *** headshot! Spectacular pile-up. Surprisingly very little damage.

Shot out of a 6 Dasher at 3060 fps.

001iks.jpg

Nice job! That coyote you're holding up is a hawg! Thanks for the write up.

Tim
NO Off Season

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.