2 missed black bears

I would like to thank Remmingtonman for trying to decrease the bear population in the Wehnaha unit. We all know that bears, cougars and coyotes(wolves). Are haveing a signifigant impact on the Deer and Elk populations, especially this time of year. I put in for both deer and elk up there for this fall, we'll see what happen's. Read this disclaimer folks, no discussing ethics on this website.

Thank you, nough said!

Bears and cougars are putting an absolute hurt on Oregons big game population. We need to get rid of every bear and cougar in this state to get things back to half normal...

I can remember never seeing bears. Up untill the time I was about 15 or so, I had seen maybe 1 or 2 bears up in the mountains. Every since then, its not uncommong to see 1 or 2 in a day. You can thank the other side of the state for it....Baiting and hounds is the only way its going to help the deer and elk calves out...

[ QUOTE ]
If that doens't do you justice then I dont know what will.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to prove a thing to me and I hope you don't feel like you need to. We make mistakes and we learn from them (hopefully).

Flybuster

[ QUOTE ]
Read this disclaimer folks, no discussing ethics on this website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks mom, I got it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I completely understand. I'm here to share my stories/experiences and there the complete truth, nothing else. I'm not gonna sit here and sugarcoat anything... I chose to share this story knowing I would get some crap or looked down upon by some, however I feel that there is probly a few out there that could probly relate to this in some form or another. It was/is a learning experience for sure.

Hopefully I dont find the bear and see no signs of it being hit. That just means there still out there. Both of the ones I shot at were big chocolate ones. The one my dad missed was black. All 3 were pretty decent sized, at least 300lbs, especially the last one, he was at least 350, maybe 400. Hopefully they'll come out over the weekend and we'll have another crack at them...

Remingtonman,

Uh-oh. You broke the cardinal rule of telling an honest story instead of just relating a perfect fairy tale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Been there and done that. Now I question sharing any stories unless everything goes just perfect and even then someone somewhere will still find fault in your style.

I agree that a wounded animal needs to be tracked, but if not hit then learn from the mistake and move on.

Observation: If honesty in a story is applied, then we can all learn from a mistake. We can make a bad into a good. Likewise, when we do everything right, we learn how to do something correctly. As far as I see it, we learn both ways so my vote is honesty in a story. Kudos to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeeze, give him just a little bit of slack? There are no 'perfect' persons in this world, hunters & shooters included. There's always the possibility of a miss, a wounded animal, and a lost animal in fair chase hunting. Something less than the perfect ending.

Remingtonman: I really appreciate your hunting story and can sympathize with the circumstances. I hunt bears in the mountains in Alaska - similar steep terrain and conditions. They can be difficult to recover without a very good first hit. Thick alders and brush, steep terrain, and sometimes little for blood trail. If your bear was still moving strong after 300-400 yds, I would tend to agree he wouldn't have been recovered even if he was hit. But I believe the extreme angle of your shot resulted in a high miss. I've developed a drop chart for sloped shots in the mountains, which provides holdover data covering 10 degree to 50 degree slopes in 5 degree increments for my rifle/load. I print these drop charts on the waterproof paper available for outdoor uses and find it as important as the rangefinder. Take either one away from me and the longer range shots are no longer feasible up or down the mountain slopes. I can tell this isn't your proudest moment out in the field, but I suspect you'll do better the next time around. Please continue to share your hunting stories, and I do hope you sleep well.

rem, You were honest and I recognize that. I'm not going to beat a dead horse. I am going to say this. As you get older and may-be wiser, you will walk away from shots that "make things difficult". By this I don't mean the distance or angle, but allowing for all conditions, including the dificulty and resposibility of follow up and retrieval. I'm not saying do all your hunting from the truck.

I always ask myself before I pull the trigger on mountain hunts. "How the hell am I gona get that game out?"

No flame here, just relating my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.