Missed !

I was actually holding for a low chest shot because the yardage was off a bit, I feel I should have hit the elk high shoulder if nothing else. I have been shooting a lot all summer and early fall and felt very confident. I am not new to rifle hunting even though I bowhunt most of the time, I am new to turning turrets to shoot long range. I know I have a lot to learn about it and figure this is a good place to get lots of good info. This is the most fun I have had with a rifle in a long time, it is very addictive. Do most guys dial for wind or just hold off? I was thinking of taping my windage adjustment so it dont get turned.

You will get as many different answers as there are ways we learn to shoot coming up.

Old school shooters like me will generally just hold the wind or hold both wind and elevation.

If you run the numbers I think you'll find that with the adjustment you made, IF the turrets had been zeroed you would probably have still shot over.

With that much angle you just have to go ahead and do the math or just have an ACOS and level on your rifle like the one's that Len sells in the LRH store unless you're really good at doing math in your head.

You can just multiply your range at 30deg incline/decline times .90 and get really close, or you can do the reverse. You had 587 for your range so it's really easy to just subtract 60 from it and end up with a range adjusted to 527 or dial up 525 if you have ranged turrets.

If you get steeper than 30 deg you really need to work it out as accurately as possible.

We used to shoot coyotes off of the caprock on a friend's ranch and a lot of those shots were well over 45deg, some as much as 80 deg down angle and and the drop was 500-900' straight down in places. Shooting upslope was even more of a challenge since you had no clue what the wind would be doing on top. We had the same kinds of challenges shooting off of the Mesas up near Tucumcari.

800px-Northwest_Escarpment_Llano_Estacado_2003.jpg

I am not new to rifle hunting ... I am new to turning turrets to shoot long range. I know I have a lot to learn about it and figure this is a good place to get lots of good info. This is the most fun I have had with a rifle in a long time, it is very addictive.

Yes it is addictive. From what I have experienced most hunters I have worked with, brand new to well experienced, young or old, male or female, can shoot extremely well with a little assistance. As you put it, turning turrets to shoot long range is the other equation. Unlike shooting fundamentals this has been the most difficult for EVERY one of them. Well more than half give up on the turret turning and simply ask if I can come along hunting with them. As you are now aware being capable an confident with making a good shot is only a portion of the pie.

Learning from any venue to include the brutal reality of missed opportunities is the path to success!!!

Excellent post and discussion. I use a Leica 1600 that gives me declination and plug it into a ballistics calculator. Dial both elevation and windage. Follow on shots are generally hold off once I see the impact.

Excellent post and discussion. I use a Leica 1600 that gives me declination and plug it into a ballistics calculator. Dial both elevation and windage. Follow on shots are generally hold off once I see the impact.

The Leica 1600 is a great option for slope angle. I use mine often for this purpose. However, they can sometimes "lie" as with any range finder. A few years ago I was shooting at a cow. My buddy was ranging. I asked for a range, he replied exactly 700. Boom. The cow froze like a statue. What the heck. I asked for the range again. Same, shoot 700. Boom. What the heck nothing. I turned to my buddy and said something is completely wrong. Obviously. During our discussion on potential issues my friend asked me to range. The cow was still standing there like a statue. I ranged 610. Boom. Dead elk.

It turned out my buddy was missing the elk and hitting the vegetation behind. I asked him if he ranged the cow's feet. He looked at me like what the heck are you talking about. RANGE THE FEET. This way you will assuredly reflect off the ground corresponding to the range the elk is standing on and not the vegetation behind. Ok, I understand elk don't have feet but you get the point. There is no problem with ranging the animal but ensure you range the feet to confirm.

It turned out a range of 700 put me about 10" over the back of the elk. I was shooting exactly where instructed. Leica's can lie, range the feet to keep them honest!

The Leica 1600 is a great option for slope angle. I use mine often for this purpose. However, they can sometimes "lie" as with any range finder. A few years ago I was shooting at a cow. My buddy was ranging. I asked for a range, he replied exactly 700. Boom. The cow froze like a statue. What the heck. I asked for the range again. Same, shoot 700. Boom. What the heck nothing. I turned to my buddy and said something is completely wrong. Obviously. During our discussion on potential issues my friend asked me to range. The cow was still standing there like a statue. I ranged 610. Boom. Dead elk.

It turned out my buddy was missing the elk and hitting the vegetation behind. I asked him if he ranged the cow's feet. He looked at me like what the heck are you talking about. RANGE THE FEET. This way you will assuredly reflect off the ground corresponding to the range the elk is standing on and not the vegetation behind. Ok, I understand elk don't have feet but you get the point. There is no problem with ranging the animal but ensure you range the feet to confirm.

It turned out a range of 700 put me about 10" over the back of the elk. I was shooting exactly where instructed. Leica's can lie, range the feet to keep them honest!

Wow!! Now that is good info...keeping the range finder honest ha ha...who would have thought. Thanks for that!

Wow!! Now that is good info...keeping the range finder honest ha ha...who would have thought. Thanks for that!

I now primarily us a Terrapin on a Leupold tripod. I have tried to make the Terrapin fib, even a little. No luck, won't even tell a white lie. The combo has a nickname, "Honest Abe".:D

And I don't like your choice of bullet in THAT rifle!!

I think the bullet and Leica were in cahoooots. Dang them anyway!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.