2 dumb questions

This is a great discussion and makes me want to do my research when I start reloading for M1 Garands.

I do buy mil spec and other ammunition to shoot so another question.

In my Garands 308 and 30-06 what should I avoid so as not to blow them apart. I love shooting them and want to get to Camp Perry some day to compete or just plain experience the competition as a competitor. So in practice, before I start reloading, currently I'm buying ammunition out there, what should I avoid for my Garands. My 308 is clearly marked 308 win. My 30-06 Garand is obvious.

Thanks

As I stated, depends on the strength and condition of the springs, if you put new higher power recoil springs they will handle full on loads, but that's not always the best, from what I've seen garands like midway charges of Imr 4895 and 4064 or even 4350 in the 30-06.

Here is something from Chuck Hawks site about that.

When loading .280 ammunition for use in pump action or autoloading rifles it is best to stick with the lighter loads. This is not for reasons of safety, but because these actions lack the camming power to extract stuck cases. It is also a good idea to full length resize cases that will be used in these actions. Maximum loads are intended for use in bolt action rifles.
Some basic .280 specifications useful to reloaders are these: Bullet diameter .284", Maximum COL 3.33", Maximum case length 2.54", MAP 60,000 psi

This is from Petersons rifleshooter magazine

Remington made a mistake by developing the .280 for use in the semiauto Model 740 because it had to be loaded to pressure levels below those used for the .270 Win., which was designed strictly for bolt guns. Once that decision had been made and there were rifles and ammo in the hands of consumers, there was no turning back.

This is where I am getting this information from.

This is from Petersons rifleshooter magazine

Remington made a mistake by developing the .280 for use in the semiauto Model 740 because it had to be loaded to pressure levels below those used for the .270 Win., which was designed strictly for bolt guns. Once that decision had been made and there were rifles and ammo in the hands of consumers, there was no turning back.

This is where I am getting this information from.
Thanks for providing your source. Now I know where you're coming from.

Note that the 740 was also chambered for the .308 Win. having max average pressures half way between the .30-06 and .270. So they could have spec'd the .280 the same as the .308, in my opinion, if they didn't want what the .270 was spec'd to.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.