1st Timney trigger on M77 MKII

ropeNshoot

I just installed my first Timney trigger. First to install and first to own. It went into a Ruger M77 MkII .300Win Mag. I expected to have to file the block for the safety, but it was way more involved than that. Maybe I got a bad one or maybe because it's an early '90s rifle... I don't know. First off, the trigger itself was too wide to fit into the slot in the receiver. It was too large by .009" which is huge when working with a fine file. I ended up using a dremel with a sanding drum. I kept checking the fit to make sure I didn't go too far. Next was the safety block on the trigger. I took nearly an 1/8" of material off with a file. It fits perfect but WOW, I never expected to remove so much.

Then it was the spring... No matter how heavy I adjusted the pull weight, I couldn't close the bolt without a slam fire. I finally used the factory spring. That did the trick. Overall it weighs in right at 1lb so I'm happy. I even ran the bolt over 100 times in a VIGOROUS manner and I can say that it won't slam fire.

Range testing will begin this weekend but I won't be so naieve about the Timney triggers again

Your experience with the installation on a Ruger was typical. Those issues are not typical when installing a Timney on a Remington, Mauser, Howa,,,, just to the Rugers, new model or old model. Occasionally, issues with safety engagement are encountered with installation of a Timney on Winchester70. That issue only exists sometimes with the Model 70, not all the time.

I'm glad to know that problem isn't unique to me or my rifle. I'm glad I did it and I'd do it again, but it was a very tense project!

My SIL and myself have installed Timney triggers in several MK II Ruger rifles and I have never had to remove that much stock material, and usually none at all. I don't know why the spring with the Timney trigger wouldn't let you adjust safely because every Timney I have installed had to be lightened a little after installation. Strange!

So far, since the new trigger, I've got a new 208 amax load going. Getting just below 1/2" groups at 100yds on sandbags with 71.5g of H4831sc and WLRM primers. Should I stretch out the distance?...!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.