1st STW

ardcsb

I have a friend that recommended I get a 7mm STW. I am 99% target and 5% hunter if that much. I was looking for a platform that would bridge the gap between 30-06 and 1200 meters. 7mm STW from what I have read would fit the bill. I do not have a donor rifle for conversion. I do have a lead on a Remington 700 tapered, blued barrel on a synthetic stock for about $620. My question is what is the better route for a final product. Spend the $620 then spend $200 for an upgraded trigger and another $200 plus for a better barrel or invest approximately $1000-$1200 in a rifle like the Remington Sendero that will not require the upgrades?

The 7mm STW is a great cartridge. For long range target and hunting, you might want to look into the heavy bullet options. They range from 175 grn to 195 grn projectiles. For some of these, you will need the 1:8" twist barrel.

As for the action, any of the Magnum actions will work. I like Winchester M70's, but a Rem M700, Weatherby, Savage, Howa, or Ruger will work. One of the draw backs will be the magazine length. Most are limited to just over 3.6". Some of the 7mm STW's have free bore. For my M70, i had a Wyatt's box installed, so now I can go over 3.8".

My question, is this Rem 700 Tapered a magnum action? If not, that is more work to open the bolt face, work on the feed rails, the magazine, and so on.

For me, if I was to do it today, I would go custom. Due to the heavy bullets available today. For the price of a Sendero, you can have a nice custom for a bit more. You supply the action, get it trued, trigger, barrel, stock, Wyatt's box, the whole nine yards, and you are good to go. It will be over the price of a Sendero, but it will be made the way you want it and do what you want.

For the Sendero, the barrel is either a 1:9" or a 1:9.25"/1:9.5" twist. This will limit you on the heavy bullets. It should be able to shoot the 168 grn bullets fine, and some of the 175 grns too. The question is, how many rounds down the pipe? How is the trigger, does it need other things?

Hope some of this helps.

I have a friend that recommended I get a 7mm STW. I am 99% target and 5% hunter if that much. I was looking for a platform that would bridge the gap between 30-06 and 1200 meters. 7mm STW from what I have read would fit the bill. I do not have a donor rifle for conversion. I do have a lead on a Remington 700 tapered, blued barrel on a synthetic stock for about $620. My question is what is the better route for a final product. Spend the $620 then spend $200 for an upgraded trigger and another $200 plus for a better barrel or invest approximately $1000-$1200 in a rifle like the Remington Sendero that will not require the upgrades?
I would not recommend starting with just a standard BDL, nor would I recommend the SPS.

Remington has made some very nice sporter weight rifles (STW's) through the custom shop from time to time and if you shop you can find them usually at a fair price.

From there just have someone that understands how to adjust a remington trigger see what he can do for the factory trigger as usually you can get what you need/want without going to an aftermarket trigger.

The most important thing then is to get it into a nice aftermarket stock, pillar bed it and make sure the barrel is free floated. WHile doing so also go ahead and have the recoil lug area bedded as well. Personally I like to bed in front of the lug too essentially for the length of the loaded round.

From there you're off to the races.

Welcome to the STW,you do your part and it will never let you down if you start off with a quality rig to begin with.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.