1st elk hunt need rifle advice

If you already have a 270 you might as well go up to a 300 for a second rifle. 300 win ammo is available everywhere and available in just about any rifle you would want to buy. Might also look at fierce. The fury is $2000 and 1/2 moa guarantee. And it's under 7lbs. Pretty much meets all your criteria.

Hello all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile.

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

I don't have much long range shooting experience, I usually do stand hunting within 300 yards for whitetail in Georgia.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier
Christensen arms ridgeline
CA Mesa (would put the additional funds to better optics)

I want to keep the rifle under $2000. I still haven't figured out my optics as of yet but it would be around the same $2000

As for a caliber I'm considering:
6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer. I've never hand loaded nor do I plan on going down the rabbit hole anytime soon so I would be using over the counter ammunition for the time being.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Dan
Hi Dan, I am an elderly hunter whom has hunted for over 65 year as and still do. I hunt moose, caribou, bear, deer as my main big game objectives .I also have numerous rifles of different calibers, but I can tell you in all honesty, that the 7mm REM magnum is the BEST all around rifle to own and most specifically for what you plan on hunting.
I have taken numerous mooses and other big game over the years from distances as short as 75 metres up to 683 metres without any problem, and the 7mm REM Mag should be an easy chore on taking down an elk with the right choice of ammo and bullet. There is a wide variety of available ammo and bullet weight and types found anywhere on this planet and in all hunting stores plus the fact that the price of these will not burn a hole in your pocket.
It is easy to reload and develop a recipe which best suits your rifle if you want to go that route. Nevermind the ''new trends'', a 6.5 is not any better than a well proven 7mm Mag. It does not have a heavy recoil, you can mount a muzzle break if you wish to tame it better and you can keep it as a lighter weight rifle if you plan any mountain hunts which is extremely important for long hikes. Choose a 7mm REM Mag and you will NEVER regret your choice, I know I haven't throughout my many, many years of hunting, it is always along my side, never leave home without it even when toting another calibre along.
And you said that you plan on equipping it with a very good optic, you will then have an excellent fit and will harvest any North American big game that you plan on getting after.
Best of luck on your rifle and caliber choice!

Buy the Ridgeline in 300 Win Mag and the ABM Ammo with 215 hybrids. Check out what Broz has killed with that combo over on his long range hunting forum.
Or the Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC.

And get your form 4 in for a suppressor, it's the beauty of the Ridgeline, with the threaded carbon barrel they're set up to shoot suppressed!

I have saw severa. elk taken here in KY with a .300WM, 7mm
Rem mag, and even more taken with the .270. My wife and her brother drew bull tags, hers in 2009 and his in 2010. My wife shot hers facing us, the only shot she had, at 200 yds. She had shot a lot and was confident in her gun and load, broke his neck and went on thru the vitals and out, with a Hornady 150 gr interlock. He was facing down hill, facing us at a steep angle and he dropped at the shot! Her brother shot his about 250 yds away, quartering away, first shot hit behind the shoulder and and stopped in the off shoulder, his second one was about an inch away from the first one, and the elk dropped at the shot. Again he was using the Hornady Interlock 150 grain. A buddy and I went out west hunting, he took a Browning BAR in.270 that would shoot MOA, and he shot a nice 6x6 with the 150 Interlock also, dropped at the shot. A friend here got drew for a KY bull elk tag also 4 years ago, he used a Browning A bolt, .30/06 and he was shooting a 165 Hornady, elx I think, but don't quote me on that. HIs rifle would shoot about an inch group at 100 yds and 4 inche group at 500 yds, he and i both shot it. He shot his bull also quartering away at 335 yds, the elk shuddered from the impact, took a couple of steps and as my buddy shot the second shot the bull dropped from the first shot and he caught him in the spine on the way down.You can readily find the .270 ammo or 30\06 ammo anywhere, and recoil is not as bad. If you get out and shoot your rifle, and it is well tuned, with some of the BDC scopes on the market today, you should have no trouble taking a elk with a standard cartridge at any reasonable distance, say 500 yds and in! I have been a gunsmith or 35 years, and built several light weight 300's that would shoot great, but by the time hunting season got here, most of the guys were so scared of their rifles, they couldn't hit crap.

I grew up in Virginia and we hunted a lot on the ground and when we used tree stands they gave us long range shots that we would not have had on the ground.
I grew up in Tennessee and hunted Tenn and GA a lot. Used to set up in a turret chair 20 or so feet up could spin 360 degrees in it. 300 was a looong shot.

It's a well conveyed simplified version of the equation (K.E. = 1/2 m v^2), and I feel you're making my point. Is the goal to kill something or sit at camp and talk about the neato group from last week at the PRS match?

To the question of SD- SD effects BC and penetration. In cartridges of equivalent efficiencies it's not going to matter. The bigger bullet will weigh more and have a higher BC. Scale the 6.5 bullet up to a 30 and the 30 does a better job further out.

I don't care how you try to frame the discussion (Which I am enjoying and find productive BTW. I know you even started a thread once to really get to the nitty gritty of the topic.) that 6.5 simply will not do what a larger caliber will.

Are there areas of performance where the lines get blurred across the spectrum of what is generally agreed upon the standard range of elk cartridges? Yes. However, the line has to be drawn somewhere doesn't it?

A couple things - weight and caliber are related to SD. A 140gr 6.5 caliber bullet has the same SD regardless of whether it is a berger vld or a nosler partition. The design of the bullet is what determines BC.

There are so many variables here and I think once you get into 6.5 cal to 30 cal, the choice of bullets plays a much more critical part of how well it kills. For example, if you are shooting a mono or a bonded bullet that is made to retain its weight and completely pass through the animal, I think you are right with regards to the larger diameter bullet having a greater impact. If, however, you shoot something like a berger or eldm which are built to enter 3" and blow up leaving all that energy in the animal, you won't notice a difference. I shoot the later in all of my guns and when you put those behind the shoulder into the vitals, they are done - doesn't matter if it is a 115gr .257 or a 168gr 7mm - those big tough elk die quick and it doesn't take but one bullet.

Elk are considered on of if not the toughest north American big game to kill. Yes they can be killed with one shot and the elk I have taken have ben one shot kills. I know of guys that have had to shot theirs more then once and all the shots were very good and the bullets preformed well. What I thing he is saying is elk can absorb a lot of bullet energy and if your wanting a rifle with it's main use to be elk a 30 caliber or bigger is a good choice.
Do you think sometimes we confuse size with toughness? My experience has been that elk aren't that tough as long as you shoot the right bullet and don't take stupid shots. Moose are the same way - big animals but not that tough. I think some of the whitetails I have seen shot are tougher to kill than elk.

I built these for elk hunting and practice. 280 Ackley Improved. One runs 168 VLD @ 3015, the other 180 VLD @ 2875.
Gen2completion 036.JPG

I'm going to take more of a piecemeal approach to this one. There are one or two things here I think need to be unpacked.

A couple things - weight and caliber are related to SD. A 140gr 6.5 caliber bullet has the same SD regardless of whether it is a berger vld or a nosler partition. Agree The design of the bullet is what determines BC. Agree

What I am saying is that scaling that 140 up to, lets say 210/215 in a 30 if thats fair, will yield better performance. Will it not? I'm not saying the 140 can't or won't penetrate, but it won't do what that 210/215 will. If we can agree thats apples to apples, maybe not perfectly, but hopefully still illustrative.

I will also go as far to say I prefer a 180 in one of the standard 30 cal elk cartridges because 180gr is still 180gr. This is where we get into blurry line territory if we start talking 308Win. I'm choosing mass and diameter over speed and sectional density because that 180gr is going to wreck- in my experience both as witness and applicator. At this point the discussion becomes distance related I think, and where I turn to more powerful cartridges.

There are so many variables here and I think once you get into 6.5 cal to 30 cal, the choice of bullets plays a much more critical part of how well it kills. Tend to Agree For example, if you are shooting a mono or a bonded bullet that is made to retain its weight and completely pass through the animal, I think you are right with regards to the larger diameter bullet having a greater impact. Agree If, however, you shoot something like a berger or eldm which are built to enter 3" and blow up leaving all that energy in the animal, you won't notice a difference. I think I can agree with this as well, but I'd like to think on it I shoot the later in all of my guns and when you put those behind the shoulder into the vitals, they are done - doesn't matter if it is a 115gr .257 or a 168gr 7mm - those big tough elk die quick and it doesn't take but one bullet.

I once used Bergers myself. I wasn't satisfied with the performance and switched to Nosler ABs. I thought 250gr is 250gr, but year before last I had a small bull walk off and live another hour or so with a fist-sized hole in his chest. Another time before that I had bull with the same type wound begin to walk off. I can't say how long he would've lasted because he caught another 250 from my LM and a 160 from my bud's 7RM. In both cases shots were less than 100yd. I can say the Bergers did what they were supposed to do and for the most part the vitals were toast. I really can't explain the survivability of those two bulls with that bullet.

Those two experiences, along with others convinced me to convert to more durable designs, which in turn affected my overall philosophy- big, mean guns for big, tough critters.

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

I don't have much long range shooting experience, I usually do stand hunting within 300 yards for whitetail in Georgia.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

I want to keep the rifle under $2000. I still haven't figured out my optics as of yet but it would be around the same $2000

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer. I've never hand loaded nor do I plan on going down the rabbit hole anytime soon so I would be using over the counter ammunition for the time being.

Thanks
Dan
Hi,
You have to ask yourself the following questions:
1. Do you live in elk country? Will your license be an easily obtainable resident state license? Are Lotteries involved? If you miss getting it in year 1, is it guaranteed in year 2?
2. Will this be the equivalent of an very expensive vacation? Requiring licensed guides, by horseback into the higher elevations in Rockies from the guides ranch, which usually includes packing in for a few days at 10,000' as well, tent, sleeping bags, extreme cold, the whole deal?
3. What's the terrain? What's your point blank range of the typical shot. And yes, you'll only be getting 1 shot- I'll answer that: point blank through trees spaced a foot apart, ( so close you can't figure out how the bulls can get their racks through, while they are charging down
the mountain with their herd of cows, when your guide drives them), to clear cuts 400 yards away, or on the next mountain, when you have to play find the bull amongst his massive entourage of ladies, and lesser males, if they are allowed to hand out?
4. Rifle: light, super fast handling, must point even faster, as well as be impervious to cold and wet or to dropping, should you, or it, take a spill.....and horse proof, as it will be residing, in a coarse, utilitarian, leather, scabbard as it's transported up to the higher elevations where the elk are.......
5. Recoil: that's immaterial: you'll never feel it, the once or twice you'll get to pull them trigger, when that once in a lifetime, walking or running, 4' Rack, is finally centered in your scope and your heart rate is at 150, and your trying to thread a needle through the trees.....

My first elkhult in the Wyoming Rockies, many years ago, was a lifetime lesson. The rifle I thought necessary to give me at least an even chance, turned out to be the perfect rifle, for everything described above.

-Once upon a time, Remington announced their 338WM Classic! Having several 700's since my teens, and with a planned Wyoming Elk hunt, getting that Classic, was a no- brained! I was the 1st kid on the block, to get one! Look up the year it was made, and you'll know how far back this story goes!
-Kelly MacMillan made me a 1 of a kind, custom Weatherby Mark V synthetic stock, to fit that Rem 700 bbl'ed action. The fit to the action, (free floated bbl to my spec), the fit to my face, the alignment of my eyewith the 3.5x10 Leupold that it wore, makes me open a box of Kleenex, as I write this.
-The Canjar trigger I installed, set slightly heavier than My fingers pulse , completed the equation. Short Harris bipod, of course.
-225 Partitions flattened the catapult trajectory of the stock 250's, and (back then) could be loaded hotter (than today's reloading guides that do double duty as law journals), and it was a given that it would perform perfectly even if moving in slow motion, if I dare take that PO Ackley shot across a canyon, (but I didn't have to).
-3 ragged .34" holes touching @ 100 yds all day long, when I worked up the loads.

Sorry, You're not building a custom, bench rest rifle, in some exotic, sub MOA, 1000 yd caliber, whose round needs a machine shop to build, and that needs a cleaning rod pushed through the bore after each shot.
An Elk rifle should be come an appendage, like your arm, and move into action as quickly as your arm, and be able to do its business with 1 squeeze!

My Rem 700/ Mark V McMillan looks and shoots today, as it did when built, and when all Rem 700's, with their amazing stock, adjustable trigger, would do MOA right out of the box, with factory ammo, even on a "bad hair day." I hope this helps

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

Thanks
Dan
The 28, 7MM mag, and 300 rum will all get the job done. I have all of the and many more. If I were in your situation, I do believe I'd seriously look at availability of ammunition and that would would favor the 7MM mag. Consider a 300 WSM as well.
Best wishes,
Harvey Durham

As Rick mentioned above. Stick with a 7mag or 300wm for off the shelf availability of ammo. Every hardware store around has that ammo. 280IA is a wonderful caliber but ammo is not typically readily available on the shelf. Same with 6.5 PRC.

I went through the same process this time last year. Had narrowed down to the bergara premier and Christensen ridgeline in 280 ai or 7 mag. Decided to stick with 7 mag mainly because I already had one and would not be starting over with brass and ammo. Since bergara didn't have the 7 mag I got the ridgeline. It shoots 160 accubonds .5 moa (probably better but I don't want to risk being called a liar). Recoil is manageable without the break. I was able to take a cow elk and mule deer buck last fall and the bullet performed well on both. I wouldn't sell the rifle for what I paid for it new.

My brother in law bought the ridgeline in 300 win. It is a sub 3/4" gun with factory ammo.

Good luck, there is not a wrong decision in the options you have narrowed to. Get in shape, that thin air is serious on us flat landers.

P.S. If I'm being honest with myself, deep down I would still love to have a 338 win "elk gun" even though the 7mm performed just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.