1909 Argentine Mauser in 25-06

Cane72

Hey guys im new to the site but have been reading some good posts over the last couple of weeks. Ran across a custom rifle that seems like a good price and wnated to get yalls thoughts on it, since i dont have much experience with custom rifles. The rifle has a 1909 Argentine Mauser action '98 large ring. It has a 24" AH Striker hand lapped barrel with a custom thumbhole stock on it. I do not remember what the trigger was. The rifle is chambered in 25-06. the guy is asking $ 500 for the rifle. I know its not a whole lot of info but wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks for the input.

I have a Brazilian 1908 Mauser with a then Lilja barrel, Fajen thumbhole stock in 270 Win. Over 44 years of constant, continuous, faithful service.

To me it is priceless!!! and shoot bug holes.

Welcome to the forum, I do quite a bit of Mauser building, M98 & M96. Without any pictures of wood condition or metal work there are a lot of variables to consider, that said typical Mauser actions are soft core with case hardening so repeated firing of really hot loads will generate lug set back. If all checks out good on this 25.06 and the bolt face is not corrosive ammo pitted $500.00 seems fair, is the barrel stainless?, bluing condition?. They are by no means a Remington or Winchester however with proper loads a good Mauser will last a life time and can be darn accurate too!

I may have added more confusion to your decision but if you are looking for resale value to make a profit on your investment, I doubt you'll do that ( unless it's a FN, Inerarms, or the like). I like Mausers and have several that are sub-MOA shooters.......so it's really a prefrence choice, no reason to be nervious about Mausers.

Mausers I have include: 22br, 22-250, 22ppc, 22-284, 6mm-284, 6.5x55AI, 300 weatherby Mag.

jmo....

Last edited:
bob,

What do you consider to be really hot loads? The barrel medium-heavy blued barrel. Looks to be in good shape.

What I meant by hot loads is if (hand load) cartridges were loaded up to max. Listed pressure or above and hard bolt lift after firing is a regular thing, then the lugs start to take a beating and will set back. A way to check for this when the barrel can't be removed for inspection would be to lock the bolt in battery (empty chamber) then apply reward pressure on the bolt handle while lifting up on the bolt handle. If you feel a slight forward movement of the bolt as it is lifted then some set back has begun. Check the article section of LRH home page and read Bob Jourdan's piece on case pressure it is quite interesting.

If you want give me a call to talk on Mausers more.

For $500 you can get a much better Rem 700 or a Savage or a Winchester. Mauser actions are OK but the lock time is measured with a calender compared to the above mentioned rifles. Faster lock time means better accuracy. Is there any way to know how many rounds has been fired in that Mauser? It is a high pressure round and the throat will wear quite a bit with 1000 rounds. What twist is the barrel. What throat length does it have? Some are built with a short throat for light varmint bullets and will not work well with bullets over 100 grs. How far would you plan shooting with this rifle. The 25-06 is my favorite deer rifle but over 600 yards and you don't have much thump left. But out to 500 yards it is one heck of a deer killer.

Back to the 1909 Custom Mauser. We just received a 1909 Argentine Mauser in 25-06, customized by a gunsmith by the name of PJ Wright. The gun has been re-blued, but the stock and craftsmanship is very, very good. It also comes with a Leopold 4x-12x BX2 scope with sunshade.

We are concerned not only about the going rate for this beauty, but we also want to know more about this gunsmith. If anyone has any helpful information, we would greatly appreciate it.

Double K Shooting Sports
Dewey, Az
[email protected]

Cane72, ask the seller if you can fire it. 25-06 ammo is cheap and might help you decide.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.