180 hyb seating depths

southpa

I searched the forum but mostly just find tidbits of info so I decided to post.

First experience with hybrids (usually run 168 vlds) in my 7 mag and I cannot seem to get it to tighten up. I've read hybrids aren't easily affected by seating depth and I've been playing with charges and cannot seem to get it to tighten up. Wondering if I should play with depths or move on to a different powder.

Currently .010 off the lands with charges from 68-72.2 grains of retumbo. Barrel seems fast but will not group with this combo. About to just move to H1000.

Ya H1000 nets tiny holes with 168 vlds in this rifle at .010 off. I wanted to run tumbo in this setup when I stepped up to 180s to make sure I can get to 3k. I've got quite a bit of consumables thrown at this combo and I'm not sure I wanna keep throwing it at it or switch over. Kind of at a crossroads.

Mine is 24" and gets 2925 at best accuracy w/H1000. It'll make 3000 but accuracy degrades at that speed in my rifle and it's definitely highish pressure in Norma brass.

Mine is 24" and gets 2925 at best accuracy w/H1000. It'll make 3000 but accuracy degrades at that speed in my rifle and it's definitely highish pressure in Norma brass.
You are shooting hybrids correct? With tumbo it seems to get tighter at higher pressures. But I just don't want to sacrifice brass and throat life for what seems to be sub par accuracy for my liking. Which is why I'm looking for experience with seating depths for these hybrids. Some say mess with depths most say depths don't matter much at all

Yes, I'm using Berger 180 Hybrids .020" off the rifling. Never did any seating depth testing, started at .020" off and it shot so well I never messed with it.

I've read multiple posts saying guys just couldn't get retumbo to shoot tight they switched over to h1000 and lost about 100fps but git the accuracy they wanted

If you cannot get the 180 to work you can always go back to the 168 VLDs. The two are almost identical in downrange performance. The 168 going faster will shoot flatter. The wind drift is almost identical. A tiny bit more energy with the 180. Doubt you would ever see a difference in killing power many a bit more penetration with the 180s. Both are very lethal on game including elk.

In my experience the hybrid is very tolerant of seating depth, I load most .020" off the lands and do a pressure work up, and done. I very well could be leaving some accuracy on the table, but if I get something in that 1/2-3/4 min area that holds up at distance with low ED and SD I consider it done. I have loaded another test set .040-.050" deeper and shot them in something like a 28N that eats throats fast, just to make sure it isn't going to go 'out of tune' fast and they have shot as close to the same as my guns will show.

In my experience the hybrid is very tolerant of seating depth, I load most .020" off the lands and do a pressure work up, and done. I very well could be leaving some accuracy on the table, but if I get something in that 1/2-3/4 min area that holds up at distance with low ED and SD I consider it done. I have loaded another test set .040-.050" deeper and shot them in something like a 28N that eats throats fast, just to make sure it isn't going to go 'out of tune' fast and they have shot as close to the same as my guns will show.
This is why I'm considering moving on to a different powder.

If you cannot get the 180 to work you can always go back to the 168 VLDs. The two are almost identical in downrange performance. The 168 going faster will shoot flatter. The wind drift is almost identical. A tiny bit more energy with the 180. Doubt you would ever see a difference in killing power many a bit more penetration with the 180s. Both are very lethal on game including elk.
Well ya I could always just revert back to what I know works but then again that goes against what we do. Always be tinkering and looking for the bigger, better/different options. Why shoot 168s if you can shoot 180s😁😁😁😁

Also thinkin about the 180vlds. As I've always had good luck with pushing vlds a little long and running them up towards max.