180 Grain Bullet 3400 FPS or better

I don't know if it would quite reach 3400 - but a 180gr out of an 8mm Rem Mag has got to be getting close!

I've seen 180s pushed to over 3300 without pressure signs, don't know if that extra 100FPS is there though.

I'm getting 3250 with a 180 Scirroco and Retumbo, in my factory 300 Rem Ultra Mag, 26" barrel. Shoots groups under 2" at 200 yards with boring regularity. Put a hole through the heart of my best bull elk at 374 yards two years ago. I have a little more powder room, maybe hit 3300, but sweet hay zoos it shoots so good there.

Is there a caliber out there that isn't a fire form wildcat (one step neck down "wildcat" is fine) that can send a 180 Grain bullet at 3400 FPS or better and shoot/group well? This would strictly be a hunting rifle. Action length doesn't matter. Bolt face doesn't matter. Barrel Burner doesn't matter.

I dont believe 7STW, 7- 300 WBY, 28 Nosler will get you there

Looking more towards 7mm because of better BC. Any input would be appreciated. 28" max Barrel length, preferably a 26" Barrel

Thanks
If haven't looked at the .378 Wby Magnum, you may want to try it. ? Used to make a 180 grain bullet for the 378 (.375) that was rated at a top FPS of 3200, as I recall. As you seem to be a Weatherby guy, you undoubtedly know to be careful about max loads in the .378 Wby. I froze the bolt shut in my 378! I did achieve 3400 FPS with a 180 grain .375 bullet, but it was hardly worth it. However, that was quite a few years ago and with the development and improvement of more modern gun powder there may be a safe load in the .378 now for what you want to achieve. However, do be careful. I imagine that as a Weatherby man and a long range shooter you know what you are doing, but I can tell you from years of experience that max loads in the 378 Wby should be approached very carefully! As a Russian proverb says, "Measure 3 times, cut once!" There is one good thing about the 3400 FPS load with a 180 grain bullet, and that is that it hardly kicked at all. It is also a testament to how strong Weatherby builds its rifles.

Is there a caliber out there that isn't a fire form wildcat (one step neck down "wildcat" is fine) that can send a 180 Grain bullet at 3400 FPS or better and shoot/group well? This would strictly be a hunting rifle. Action length doesn't matter. Bolt face doesn't matter. Barrel Burner doesn't matter.

Looking more towards 7mm because of better BC. Any input would be appreciated. 28" max Barrel length, preferably a 26" Barrel

Thanks
I haven't read all the replies but I shoot 180 gr accubonds in my 338 ultra at just under 3600.

the 300 Headhunter and 300 Wolverine both will do 3300 fps with the new high bc Badlands 205 gr Super Bulldozer ll hunting bullet

factory brass will be available for both

ACD9399F-E1C5-41F4-A11B-970868ECB621.jpeg
CFA8AA43-4879-4B4F-975C-DEAB0CCEB33E.jpeg

Sounds like you're really wanting a 7mm. 7 Rum would be the closest in a factory round but since you said a simple neck down wildcat would be fine, 7-300 Norma would be the best bet. Peterson 300 Norma brass is still available at grafs yesterday when I checked and will handle the high pressures with good longevity. Probably need 16lbs of 570 or RL 33 to feed it though. Ram shot LRT might be easier to find and would be a good option to not have to worry about powder bridging. I would probably shoot the 172 Absolute hammer in it because of the extra speed those bullets are achieving. I would be scared of cup and core bullets coming apart in flight or on animals in the fast twist necessary.

Thanks
No factory cartridge will do it. The only one-step neck downs I can think of that "might" get you 3400 fps with a 7mm 180 is a 7mm-300 Norma (they make head-stamped brass for 300 Norma now) or a 7mm-30-378 WBY. I don't think either of them will do it in a 26" tube. Probably need a 30" Barrel with RL33. 9-twist would stabilize a 180 easily at that velocity and net you a little more speed. I have a 7mm-300 Norma reamer and could build the beast for you.

DC

I've owned several 26 in barreled 300 Rem Ultra mags and was able to get 3400 with 168, and 180 Barnes tsx bullets useing Retumbo.

To OP: I don't think you can get there with a 26" barrel or a standard .532 bolt face. The 7 ultra is the closest you'll come, but still not with a 26" barrel because the slowest powders will be needed to generate that kind of speed and they will require a 30" barrel to fully do their job. Even a 30 caliber 180 at 3400 without going to extra large bolt face and extra long tube would be a monumental feat. You may want to try the 6.5x300 Wby or 26 Nosler with some of the sleeker 140+ grain bullets for a BC on par with what you're looking for in the 7mm 180. But from personal experience I can tell you that you will STILL need a 28" barrel minimum, as the Wby loves its Reloader 50! I couldn't generate speeds advertised when it came out with a 26. Consider a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and go long. Call Carbon Six, and they can spin you one up and even chamber it if you'd like for a sight less than Proof. The only other way I can tell you to get a 180 grain bullet moving that fast with a standard .532 bolt face and 26" barrel is to load a 180gr Accubond or Barnes TTSX in a .340 Wby or .33 Nosler, but your BC will suck! Same energy... just low BC, which defeats the purpose.
I have a 6.5-300 Weatherby. Run 143 ELDX at 3500 with it. Took a mule deer at 710 this year. Just wanting to build the baddest 7MM there is basically without having to fireform brass or rely on someone else exclusively selling the brass.

Sounds like you're really wanting a 7mm. 7 Rum would be the closest in a factory round but since you said a simple neck down wildcat would be fine, 7-300 Norma would be the best bet. Peterson 300 Norma brass is still available at grafs yesterday when I checked and will handle the high pressures with good longevity. Probably need 16lbs of 570 or RL 33 to feed it though. Ram shot LRT might be easier to find and would be a good option to not have to worry about powder bridging. I would probably shoot the 172 Absolute hammer in it because of the extra speed those bullets are achieving. I would be scared of cup and core bullets coming apart in flight or on animals in the fast twist necessary.
appreciate the info. Any real world testimonies on those absolute hammers? Dad had a 7-300 Weatherby for years, took many a deer with it. Beings as i have a 300 wby and 6.5 weatherby, i could simply neck up or down to get to the 7MM.7-300 Weatherby isnt the top dog though in 7MM. The 6.5-300 is in 6.5. Would like to have the fastest 7MM capable of pushing 180 grain bullets

now we are getting into territory that is and has been of interest to me. Has anyone took 338 lapua down to 7mm without "improving".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.