17 WSM Ammo 20 or 25 Grain?

Rock Jock

I just purchased a 17 WSM and now I need to purchase some ammo so that I can get my rifle and scope dialed in.
I'm looking mostly at hunting small varmints with an occasional coyote.
Any one that has shot the 17 WSM much can you tell me about what grain of bullet I should go with, the 20 or 25, and which brand of ammo Winchester, or Hornaday?

I just purchased a 17 WSM and now I need to purchase some ammo so that I can get my rifle and scope dialed in.
I'm looking mostly at hunting small varmints with an occasional coyote.
Any one that has shot the 17 WSM much can you tell me about what grain of bullet I should go with, the 20 or 25, and which brand of ammo Winchester, or Hornaday?

Regardless of what the label on the box says, ALL, 17 WSM ammo is made by Winchester.

I have a HB SS Bmag 17 WSM that I've customized a little and it shoots the 20gr Vmax ammo really well. The 25gr doesn't really interest me so I haven't shot any of that stuff and this past summer Midway had a huge sale on the 15gr WSM ammo so I bought a few cases of it because it was so cheap. I've yet to shoot any of it but from the people I've talked to that have and the videos I've seen, that little 15gr bullet blows the crap out of sage rats.
17 WSM.jpg

I was just watching a youtube video of a guy shooting a 1/2 in. thick steel target at 100yds with his Bmag 17 WSM using both the 20 and 25 grain ammo. Surprisingly, the 20gr Vmax penetrated the deepest of the two and it actually left a noticeably deeper crater than did the 25gr ammo.

Eric Mayer (owner of Varminter.com) not only shoots the 17 WSM a lot, but has done more testing with different 17 WSM rifles and ammo than anyone I know. Eric posts great information as well as videos of the 17 WSM in use so you may want to take a look at his site because there is a lot of 17 WSM information there.

I have only shot the 15 and 20 grain bullets and both do well but if I had to pick one it would be the 20 grain as for me it does better past 250 yards. My longest coyote is 260 yards, shot in the lungs it ran about 50 yards and laid down, he wasn't going anywhere but I shot it again to finish it. Prairie dogs to 375 so far, one of my favorite guns. I can find no difference in Winchester, Hornady or Federal 20 grain, same point of impact and carry the same to 300 yards. I hadn't heard that Winchester made all ammo but as it all shoots the same I wouldn't doubt it.

A lot of great information from you guys. I appreciate your time and help with my questions.
I didn't know that Winchester made all of the 17 WSM ammo, and I'll look up Eric Mayer articles about the 17.
Also the information on the killing range of the 17 WSM. I was thinking 200 yards would be about the max with this caliber.
Looks like I'll be buying a case of Winchester 20 grain ammo.
Thanks again for you help!

Winchester manufactures on contract for the various brands but do they use the same specs?

Buy a box of both to try. Mine likes the lighter 20gr, a friend's rifle shoots the 25gr better. The right ammo in these two rifles better than halves the groups at 125 yards. We've never tried 15gr or hollow points in either rifle.

I k ow they're all made by Winchester, but I really like the Winchester brand of 20 grainers..got a bad batch of American eagle stuff that didnt shoot well at all and had some defective rounds where the bullets were crushed.

In my ss HB Bmag, Winchesters shoot between 3/8" and 3/4" at 100 yards for 3 shot groups. 5 shot groups have vertical stringing from barrel heat because my stock isn't floated properly yet. POI is very predictable out of a cold barrel though.

Performance on rockchucks/ marmots has been exemplary. Everything I've shot out to 250 yards has dropped DRT with one shot. For the first 20 rounds after sight in, I had killed 20 marmots.

I like the round enough to take it prairie dog hunting. Works good for when the dogs start staying down beyond 22lr range, yet its quiet enough that the whole town doesn't get spooked.

I k ow they're all made by Winchester, but I really like the Winchester brand of 20 grainers..got a bad batch of American eagle stuff that didnt shoot well at all and had some defective rounds where the bullets were crushed.

In my ss HB Bmag, Winchesters shoot between 3/8" and 3/4" at 100 yards for 3 shot groups. 5 shot groups have vertical stringing from barrel heat because my stock isn't floated properly yet. POI is very predictable out of a cold barrel though.

Performance on rockchucks/ marmots has been exemplary. Everything I've shot out to 250 yards has dropped DRT with one shot. For the first 20 rounds after sight in, I had killed 20 marmots.

I like the round enough to take it prairie dog hunting. Works good for when the dogs start staying down beyond 22lr range, yet its quiet enough that the whole town doesn't get spooked.

It's shaping up to be a great PDog round. My Ruger prefers the 20gr.

Glad to see some 17 WSM shooters here! I hope it catches on better as all of you know it's a super rimfire round. As for ammo, my custom stocked (and tricked out trigger)Ruger loves the Federal American Eagle in the 20 gr. I have to agree with most, there's only one maker who does it for all. If you look at the bullets and packaging, they are identical.
I have killed several groundhogs here in Va. , but all at fairly close range. Only one took a second shot, a very big one I hit a killing blow but I didn't want it to suffer nor get back under the barn! However, it shines in a prairie dog town! I take 5 or 6 rifles , but this is my most fun rifle. I have taken only one at what I consider long range, 300 yds. Going this June and hope to whack more at distance, but will whack a lot with it under that! I just wish I could get a better magazine for the Ruger with more rounds.o_O

Regardless of what the label on the box says, ALL, 17 WSM ammo is made by Winchester.

I have a HB SS Bmag 17 WSM that I've customized a little and it shoots the 20gr Vmax ammo really well. The 25gr doesn't really interest me so I haven't shot any of that stuff and this past summer Midway had a huge sale on the 15gr WSM ammo so I bought a few cases of it because it was so cheap. I've yet to shoot any of it but from the people I've talked to that have and the videos I've seen, that little 15gr bullet blows the crap out of sage rats.View attachment 116733

I was just watching a youtube video of a guy shooting a 1/2 in. thick steel target at 100yds with his Bmag 17 WSM using both the 20 and 25 grain ammo. Surprisingly, the 20gr Vmax penetrated the deepest of the two and it actually left a noticeably deeper crater than did the 25gr ammo.

Eric Mayer (owner of Varminter.com) not only shoots the 17 WSM a lot, but has done more testing with different 17 WSM rifles and ammo than anyone I know. Eric posts great information as well as videos of the 17 WSM in use so you may want to take a look at his site because there is a lot of 17 WSM information there.
What stock do you have on there?

I've found that the 25 gr is better on coyotes than the 20 gr. The 17 WSM punches outside of its weight class, but you need to keep in mind the tiny amount of lead you fling does not equate to centerfire terminal performance. That said, PD's out to 400 or so is a blast. The wind is quite the issue at much past 150. The furthest coyote I've shot was 135. Broadside with an exit using the 25. 20's even at 75 yards do not exit. An amazing setup using a Thunderbeast take down suppressor. My HB long barrel is in a Boyds stock as well. Adjustable cheek piece and kids can mow PD's comfortably at extended range.

Just for giggles, because I doubt they will, I gave asked CZ if they will make a 17 WSM. esorensen has some good points about 20 vs 25 gr bullets. But what about accuracy of the 25s? I haven't heard much except they arent as accurate as the 20s.

My older Bmag shoots the 25gr tighter than the 20gr. My newer Bmag is the opposite.
Just for giggles, because I doubt they will, I gave asked CZ if they will make a 17 WSM. esorensen has some good points about 20 vs 25 gr bullets. But what about accuracy of the 25s? I haven't heard much except they arent as accurate as the 20s.