17 Remington Fireball

I have a 14 Fireball that shoots a 15 grain Hornady hollow point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Any body lay hands on one of these yet? Any body seen one yet? Any body shoot one yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 700 CDL Ltd on layaway at my dealers (waiting to win the lotto /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

It's extremely nice, action is smooth, it has the new trigger... and I'm not one that says nice things about Remington - but my last two guns (this one and a Sendero-II SF) are flawless out of the box. The Sendero shoots like a custom riffle... hope the 17 shoots as well.

Played with the guns a lot looking them over but haven't bought one yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I haven't shot one yet either for that matter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have yet to hear what the advantage is over the 17 Remington except slowness and newness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi BB...

The 17 Rem is rough on barrels, and most foul badly, because of the case volume vs bore diameter.

The 17 Fireball is not new... it's a factory release of the VERY popular 17 Mach IV, which is a very effective varmint cartridge.

As a wildcat, the Mach IV is more popular than the factory 17 Rem... and that says something about it.

Rem just did what they have done in the past with the .22-250, the 6mm Rem, the 260 Rem, the 7mm-08 and a bunch of others... made a legitimate factory round out of a very popular wildcat.

Sales of 17 Rem rifles have dropped to the point that Rem stopped making rifles for it, so did Sako, CZ, Tikka and the others.

But there has been a growing demand for 17 cal rifles... so obviously, there was a new cartridge needed to fill the market gap.

The 17 Fireball is an ideal caliber for those shooting Prairie Dogs, crows, and woodchucks on small New England farms.

I hated my two 17 Remington rifles, and swore off of 17 caliber cartridges, but I'm looking forwards to my 17 Fireball.

[ QUOTE ]
Sales of 17 Rem rifles have dropped to the point that Rem stopped making rifles for it, so did Sako, CZ, Tikka and the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize that. What a shame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My local gun dealer has a couple of standard barrel remingtons,but has yet to get a SPS. I got dibs on the first one he gets in.

I just received my M700 CDL Limitd Edition in .17 Rem Fireball on Tuesday of this week. Looks like it was manufactured in January, just prior to SHOT.

The rifle is beautifully finished. I will likely restock the barreled action for use in the field as the CDL stock is quite a nice piece of American walnut.

Shooting accessories for the rifle will arrive early next week. While I did order a few boxes of Remington Factory ammo for breakin, bulk .17 fireball brass is as yet unavailable forcing the need to reform cases from the .221 Fireball parent. Also, while almost everyone lists dies for the new .17 Fireball, I can't find anyone who has inventory on hand. RCBS is likely closest to shipping as backorders for these are beign accepted by Midway.

The new Remington CDL has a fluted stainless barrel 24" long that measures .650" at the muzzle. I took a look at the new Remington X-MARK PRO trigger that is a standard feature of this rifle. While it is better than the standard Remington trigger I was not overly impressed. The screw adjustments remain though the screws themselves have been changed to allen type screws (instead of slotted screws). Adusting the trigger for pull weight was pretty easy. I'll still likely put in a new pull weight spring on the trigger. It is fairly crisp from the factory but is also quite heavy. I'll probably play with it some more once I get the rifle broken in. It also seems that not all of the screws use the same size of allen wrench. I ended up with a bit too much overtravel for my liking so I need to find a smaller wrench to adjust that screw. Seer engagement seemed pretty good so I didn't touch that one.

re5513

Was at the range tonight shooting next to a guy who had a 17 remington fireball. It was a Remington cdl sf and he was using 20 grains of H335 and a 20 grain bullet. His shooters chrony 10 feet from the muzzle read 4027 average. His group was about golf ball sized for ten shots.

As it was getting dark, I could just barely make out a little fireball at the end of the muzzle. Most of the powder was burned quite well.

One thing I might mention: this guy got sick of waiting for brass or loaded ammo so he just necked down 221 fireball brass and fired it a few times to sharpen the shoulder.

OK. I've had the CDL for a bit and thougth I'd send in a report. Factory Ammo works great, simple groups easily measure .750" or better for 5 shots. At over $1 per squeeze, it's not a practical solution for varmint shooting by western standards.

Dies are listed by most major manufacturers. I was only able to find RCBS .17 Rem Dies in stock. While .221 brass is readily available, .17 Remington Fireball brass in bulk is (of this writing) non existant.

I could not successfully reform .221 brass into .17 Fireball brass using the RCBS dies. I used Imperial sizing wax, tried simply necking the brass down with the FL die, tried using the sizing die first. All I ended up with were crushed necks.

Solution: Buy a Redding .17 Mach IV case forming die. That and your FL sizing die are all you need to make endless quantities of .17 Fireball brass.

After breakin, the first load I tried was 16.0gr AA1680 w/ Hornady 20gr. Vmax. Again, 5 shots were around .750". More testing to come, stay tuned.

re5513

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.