.17 Cal barrels

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Anyone have a good manufacturer recommendations for a 17 cal barrel for HMRs? Blanks specifically, not prefits etc.

It's been some years but a decade ago Lilja made some pretty solid 17 hmr barrels. I've also got a shilen on a ruger 77 that shoots well and cleaned up fast.

The last .17 barrel I bought was from Lilja but it was for a .17 Mach IV on a small Sako action. It shoots just like the first barrel I got years ago. Relatively easy to clean depending on the level of fire I've used. Sometimes I need the assistance of a copper cleaner but not often if I keep track of my shot string. P Dogs can drive me crazy!

I'm not a rimfire shooter but for my centerfires, the Lilja works fine.

:)

I have an old Marlin 17VS with rifling damage. I've seen Liljas site listing for 17 cal but I think I'm looking for a barrel that won't cost more than the original rifle. I've seen some old internet posts of different manufs offering 17s but when I go to the sites, it seems no one lists them as an orderable caliber. Want to narrow down the field before calling around. It might not be worth fixing

Last edited:
Get a green mountain blank. They are good for the $. I was suggesting figuring a rim x build or something like that so recommended accordingly.

How long is the tennon and what diameter do you need?

I have worked with a green mountain gunsmith blank. Its performance was no where near the factory barrel. Hence looking for other suggestions. I'm wondering if the 25" round blank might be better, I doubt the process is different but it might be worth a phone call if the next nearest price point is $300. Contour would be a direct replacement of the original so about 0.8" diam and 22" ish long.

Ive only worked with factory finished 77 and round blanks and they were as serviceable as a factory barrel. Ill preface it with my experience being 15 -20 years ago, company quality can change a lot in that time. I've been packing around a 77/17 barrel for some time to use as a blank, was thinking it might be worth measuring to see if it could be used as a donor. Might be cheaper to find a good 77 barrel then blank.

Not a bad suggestion. I like to shop around and spread the money out to try different companies as I can.

I've got 3 GM 17 cal blanks from 5-10 years ago they shoot good ( .5 moa) but I dont like the having to conture and 10tw would rather have a 9. 10tw works fine for 20gr bullets and lighter like some HMR ammo.