168gr SMK?

bowhunthard88

Is a 168gr SMK enough bullet for black bears @ 300-400 yds out of a 30-06? If not, what would the maximum range be for correct bullet performance/energy? I'm loading for someone, and am looking for a bullet (that I preferably have) that will work from 0 - 300 or 400 yds. The gentleman who I am loading for probably would have nightmares @ 400 yds, but I'd like to prepare for that distance just in case.

Thanks.

My hunting pard and I tried using the 168 SMK from our .308's on game 12 years ago or so. It didn't work out real well for us. Some complete penetration with what appeared to be zero expansion, others essentially blew up on contact. This was on pronghorn, mule deer and some smaller predators & varmints. Great target bullet but at .308 Win velocity it didn't seem to be a very good hunting bullet. For us. Granted, we didn't use them on black bear.

Yet, I've heard from other guys who have had great results from that bullet.

Personally I'd go with something else, almost anything else. A 165 gr Nosler Partition comes to mind, or one of the many other quality .30 cal 165/168 gr hunting bullets.

Regards, Guy

Sierra specifically says that SMK's are not hunting bullets. Although many use them with great success. There are many of great hunting bullets out there that are equally as acurate.....ballistic tips, e-tips, accubond.

Try the SGK's instead. Still very good accuracy and alot more expansion. Hornady Amax is another good choice, as are Accubonds, Nosler ballistic tips, and Barnes TSX's.

Since each gun is different you just gotta see what it likes, but those are some good ones to try.

Would definately want atleast 168gr though.

A 30-06 throwing a 168 grain bullet at 400 yards will work on black bears. Bullet selection is the problem.

Everybody has there own selection on type of bullets. I prefer the vlds, ballistic tips and sst for higher expansion vs the harder bullets that are more consistent for passthrough like accubond, interbond, barnes...

Don't know much about sierra...

165gr accubond with 50gr of varget and CCI 200 is a great load out to 500 yards well thats as far as it has been shot to thus far.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.