168gr Nosler BT

Firecat

Is anyone using the 168 grain Ballistic Tips in their 30-06? They have a ballistic Coef. of .490. Seems like it would be a pretty good choice for longish range deer and cow elk. I am shooting the 168 grain SMK's at around 2950. I know that seems fast, but it is what my Chronograph reports and it also matches JBM's Calculations during field confirmation. I am looking to use IMR 4064 as it works well with the SMKs out of my rifle. Let me know your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Is anyone using the 168 grain Ballistic Tips in their 30-06? They have a ballistic Coef. of .490. Seems like it would be a pretty good choice for longish range deer and cow elk. I am shooting the 168 grain SMK's at around 2950. I know that seems fast, but it is what my Chronograph reports and it also matches JBM's Calculations during field confirmation. I am looking to use IMR 4064 as it works well with the SMKs out of my rifle. Let me know your thoughts. I appreciate it.

The pet load for my 3006 is H4064 and the 165 grain Ballistic tip Because it works. (Every time).

J E CUSTOM

I looked hard at the 165 grain BT until I seen they offered a 168 with nearly .020 better ballistic coef. I am excited to see what it will do. I am kind of thinking like what your post says. It will work( every time:) ) How many grains of H4064 are you running? Also what are you getting for velocity and ES? I would consider trying it if it has worked well for you. I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
They are good bullets but they will not be as fast as the SMK's because they have more bearing surface, the only other bullets in that weight class I know of with higher bc's are the Speer 165grn btspt at .520 and the Speer 168grn bthp at .534. If you waqnt to get the sapeed back up and possibly a little more accuracy try RE15 or 17 or H4350. I use 59.3grns H4350 under the 165 NBT's in a vanguard sub moa, it goes through at 2930 and cuts holes. 62.4grns H4350 under 150grn NBT's will shock you when you send it through your chrony!

Backwoods, Those are great numbers that Speer is posting. Very interesting. I wonder why we do not hear more about them in the long range game? Even if those BCs were inflated, they would still be very good.

I'm not real sure why more people do not use them, noslers are much easier to get, I buy mine from wal-mart! But the 168 speer bthp-mt doesn't look like the numbers are inflated much they appear sleeker than the SMKs or bergers, they have a long sharp secant ogive.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.