168 gr bullets?

kdvarmint

Just read "Precision Handloading For Long Range Chapter Two". I'v been loading for 308win for about a year. Haven't tried anything heavier than 168gr. 168 is what I've been hunting groundhog with. This is the first (in this article) that I've heard this critisisim about 168gr bullets. I definitly shoot over 600yrds. Wondering what others are using?​

for most who shoot a 308 will say ( go too a 175gn bullet for 600 out )and I will be one to agree with that.and if you really want to go out their I would even go with a 208/210 bullet useing R17.but this is something I choose to do.its just that the 168 tends to lose everything it has out past 600.so the 175gn bullets and up take care/over from their.you start to get a better B.C. with the heavier bullets because of it being longer.so they fly buck the wind better.and that most who shoot a 308 shoot them out to a 1000 for matches.

forgot to say that even some will say to go to a 155gn bullet.but most who shoot a 155gn bullet like to push them very fast to shoot at 1000 yards.and I hate pushing bullets that fast.rather ( Lob ) a bullet to the target than burn out a barrel.again the 155gn bullet is a longer bullet in design so this allows it to buck the wind whille haveing a higher B.C.

hope I was able to help you out.my #1 and 2 bullets are the 168 and 175gn bullets.but for a long range kill or shoot on papper I love the 208 and 210gn bullet.and that its great to see a 308 be able to shoot a bullet of that weight with great accuacy.

Furthest kill last summer was 590yrd. Shot a lot of rounds 700 to 850 all around gh's with no contact. Consistent out to 500. Think I'll pick up a box of MatchKing 175's. From what I'm reading they do well in front of Varget.

several articles on loading 308 at accuratereloading/6mmbr; and riflemansjournal. some load the 155 HOT. some load 185's . i would try berger 168s or 175s.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts