167 gr. LAPUA SCENAR WHO USES THEM?

Sargesniper

I cannot remember reading about anyone shooting this bullet. Can anyone shed some light on this particular bullet for me. Their 6.5 mm's shoot very well in a .260. So I was thinking about buying some 167's for my .308's. What do you all think? Go or no go?

I load them in .30/06 so not totally relevant, but should hopefully help. I've taken a few deer with them as well. I've found they don't open well without hitting the shoulder blade, unless you anneal them, then they open properly. I haven't shot a deer closer than 150 or beyond 400 with that bullet, annealed or otherwise. There's a lot of hunting bullets out there you won't need to fiddle with to hunt. I've found the 167g to be excellent paper punchers, and so-so hunting bullets. I'm loading them over 56.5g R-17 at 2,880, Where I found best accuracy without pressure. This load was worked up in my particular rifle, YMMV, so start lower. The 155 Scenar has a better BC and maybe a better mid-range choice, I was able to push them to 3050 also with R-17, and Norma URP. I couldn't find sufficient accuracy with the 155, but they are also very consistent, quality bullets that can make some tiny holes very closely spaced indeed.

I load them in .30/06 so not totally relevant, but should hopefully help. I've taken a few deer with them as well. I've found they don't open well without hitting the shoulder blade, unless you anneal them, then they open properly. I haven't shot a deer closer than 150 or beyond 400 with that bullet, annealed or otherwise. There's a lot of hunting bullets out there you won't need to fiddle with to hunt. I've found the 167g to be excellent paper punchers, and so-so hunting bullets. I'm loading them over 56.5g R-17 at 2,880, Where I found best accuracy without pressure. This load was worked up in my particular rifle, YMMV, so start lower. The 155 Scenar has a better BC and maybe a better mid-range choice, I was able to push them to 3050 also with R-17, and Norma URP. I couldn't find sufficient accuracy with the 155, but they are also very consistent, quality bullets that can make some tiny holes very closely spaced indeed.

I should have mentioned I would not be hunting these bullets. Accuracy is what I am striving for. I no longer hunt for several reasons. Thanks for your reply.

Certainly. My experience with them has been very pleasant. They are easy to develop an accurate load, they are very consistent dimensionally and deliver repeatable, consistent, reliable accuracy. There are slicker bullets available in that weight range, but I have found them to be pretty **** consistent lot to to. My buddy uses the 167 in his remington 700 SPS in .308 as well with very similar results. I know he loads lapua brass with CCI primers and a stiff load of Varget. I would have to ask him exactly how much and at what ogive length. IMO, give 100 of them a shot, and once you find a good load jump on powdervalley and order 1,000 and enjoy that rifle.

Certainly. My experience with them has been very pleasant. They are easy to develop an accurate load, they are very consistent dimensionally and deliver repeatable, consistent, reliable accuracy. There are slicker bullets available in that weight range, but I have found them to be pretty **** consistent lot to to. My buddy uses the 167 in his remington 700 SPS in .308 as well with very similar results. I know he loads lapua brass with CCI primers and a stiff load of Varget. I would have to ask him exactly how much and at what ogive length. IMO, give 100 of them a shot, and once you find a good load jump on powdervalley and order 1,000 and enjoy that rifle.
Thanks for the feedback. Would you happen to know the BC for the 167? I only have access to 300 yds right now but may be able to shoot 600 next year if all goes well. As far as the jump goes I have one .308 that has a very long throat and another with a moderate length. One is a 24" Varmint and the other is a 26" Varmint. Both are 1/4" shooters with 168 SMK's and Bergers as well. I will keep watch on PV's web for them Thank you for the information. I wonder why others are not shooting and reporting results on the forum. Seems strange to me. You constantly hear about Berger and Sierra bullets but not Lapua. The 123 and 139 gr. Lapuas are very accurate in my .260. Thanks again ... Larry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.