162 AMAX (.284) Min Expansion Velocity

What is the minimum velocity at which the 162gr. AMAX will reliably perform on deer?

• 1,000 fps or slower

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • 1,100 fps

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • 1,200 fps

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • 1,300 fps

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • 1,400 fps

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • 1,500 fps

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • 1,600 fps

• 1,700 fps

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • 1,800 fps or faster

• Total voters

hmbleservant

I've heard/read everything from 1,100 fps to 2,000 fps. Since there is no official expansion velocity range data available (that I am aware of) I figured I would ask those who use them in the field. Please share your experiences and any stories that you've come accross to justify your answer/opinion/vote.

What would be the minimum velocity limit for this bullet in making a reliable kill shot on deer sized game without depending on bone for expansion.

I think you should find out by yourself by picking up a jug of trail boss or H4895 and getting some wet newspapers/phonebooks and start shooting.:)

I might have to!:D I spoke with Hornady and they won't even acknowledge that the bullet makes for a good longrange bullet. Do you have any idea? If so, share/vote.

I have no clue but i have about 85 of them for my 7mm-08 that i want to use for a long range coyote load. I think i read somewhere that a guy had success down to 1200 fps so that is what i am going to vote for.:rolleyes:

That's cool. And just to be clear, I don't expect that any one answer will be the right answer. I just figured that this thread will be an opportunity for the longrange community to form a pattern by putting all our heads together. I hope for people to vote even if they think they are close, but aren't sure they are right.

I have a ton of trail boss so i may try shooting them into wet newspapers at like 1100-1400 fps and if i do i will report what i find.

So far it looks like i am in the majority. (first one to vote :D)

Now those would be some very informative data points. I know that that kind of report wouldnt go unappreciated around here!

I will probably end up shooting them into 1 gallon milk jugs as i have quite a few and i want too save the newspapers for my test with the 280 grain Barnes LRX at reduced velocity. Hopefully i will have results within 2 weeks.

I loaded up 5 rounds with the A-Max today all the bullets are kissing the lands.
10.3 grains
11.3 grains
12.3 grains
13.3 grains
14.3 grains

All loads are with Trail Boss. I'm expecting the 10.3 grain load to be subsonic. :D

1400 fps! Nathan at Terminal Ballistic Research in New Zealand does a lot of autopsies of the game they kill to verify the results of bullet expansion. He has a great website. He has tested numerous bullets on game. No wet paper.

I'm not sure that those loads will produce accurate feedback. Those bullets won't be stabilized. Also they won't be spinning as fast as a long range shot. Unless I'm just confused or missing something I think you pretty much have to load them normal then set your test media up at an extended range.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Actually you are right. I completely forgot about that.:rolleyes: ill do the test anyway. i like expanded boolits. :)

I'm not sure that those loads will produce accurate feedback. Those bullets won't be stabilized. Also they won't be spinning as fast as a long range shot. Unless I'm just confused or missing something I think you pretty much have to load them normal then set your test media up at an extended range.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

I do quite a bit of bullet testing on my own and others and have found that rotational velocity makes "a little" difference but reduced loads come pretty close. I would also agree that 1400' is probably a pretty good guess for expansion. My SXR's are good to 1200-1300' and the A-Max has a smaller meplat.........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.