162 A-Max @ 2950 out of a .280 AI????

.25AOD

I just got my new Lilja #3 contour SS (1/9" twist) barrel yesterday and it's headed off to the 'smith on Wednesday. It'll be chambered for .280AI and I'm thinking I'll go with a 25" barrel length. I'm considering shooting the 162 A-Max at pretty much everything from coyotes to deer & black bears. What kind of performance are y'all seeing on game out to 600 yards or so? Also, if anyone has any data for the .280 AI using this or any of the other mid-weight bullets I'd sure be greatful. I'm going to use the new Nosler .280 AI brass and I'm thinking RE22 & RE25 should be just the ticket. Thanks in advance, ~JT

Lika all the AMAX bullets i would expect reliable expansion at long distance and low impact velo. At close range i would expect very rapid expansions, maybe to quick for some larger animals. I have seen the 105 amax expand to roughly nickel size on a pdog at nearly subsonic speeds.

take it easy
steve

25AOD,

Congratulations on your 280AI project. Your choice of caliber and class of bullet weight are excellent.
I have a 700 280AI with a Heart #5 24" flutted barrel and am getting excellent accuracy with the Nosler 160 gr AB and RL22, 3020 fps. I am also using Nosler brass, very nice.

JD338

Looking at the 160 AB too... seems like guys are getting pretty good velocity and awesome accuracy out of it. I do like the BC of the A-Max a lot, it's about 100 points higher than the A-Bond. I dig your rifle too... that LSS stock is sweet, and groups in the .2s are dang good! I went with the CDL stock on mine to keep the weight down a little.

I think your on the right track...

I got the same thing in my 7 RM right now. I'm going to be doing some LR testing out to at least 800 yards with it very soon.

I think of the AMAX as kinda like a NBT. They should expand pretty rapidly at close range, but still expand way out there when the velocity has dropped off. I think it will be an excellent coyote/deer bullet. The jury still out whether or not I'd use it for bear/elk...

I'm running the 168gr SMK to 2900 from a 24" barrel w/ no pressure signs. From memory, my load is 58gr RL-22. When the SMK's are gone I'll be going to the 162gr AM for sure. Currently using the 162gr AM from a 7mm-270WSM XP-100 @ 2825fps and have harvested deer and turkey to 400yds w/ great performance...especially on the turkey! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at the 160 AB too... seems like guys are getting pretty good velocity and awesome accuracy out of it. I do like the BC of the A-Max a lot, it's about 100 points higher than the A-Bond. I dig your rifle too... that LSS stock is sweet, and groups in the .2s are dang good! I went with the CDL stock on mine to keep the weight down a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you 25AOD. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out and the accuracy too.

Nothing wrong with the "Classic" look and feel of the CDL stock. Sounds like she will be a looker! Make sure you post some pics when you get her back.

JD338

Hi there, I study Terminal Ballistics as an occupation which runs alongside my Guided hunting business in New Zealand. I thoroughly agree with the advice given from other posters about the Amax. I wouldn't mind just adding to these posts a little more about my experiences with the 162gr Amax.

At 280-7mm mag velocities, I found the Amax to give acceptable kills at close range but nothing fantastic. The Amax is too soft for Boar at close range and may fail to penetrate heavily shielded shoulders.

The Amax really comes into its own at velocities of between 2650fps and 2100fps ( between 200 and 600 yards from your .280AI) At these ranges, kills are spectacular, mostly because wounding and bleeding can be easily seen through the scope which provides instant feedback.

In my tests, I tested the SST alongside the AMax to see how these bullets could be used together. The SST was definately superior as a game bullet at high velocity close range impact but as velocities approached 2600fps, the A-max killed considerably faster and created far broader wounds. Performance of both of these bullets differs from the Nosler BT.

Off the subject a wee bit, I once shot (culling) 16 goats off a ridge one evening using the 6.5x55 and 140gr Amax. Muzzle velocity was 2800fps, range of animals was on average 400 yards, impact velocities averaged 2300fps. Performance was absolutely awesome and every animal went staight down, as animals rolled over both exit wounds and bleeding could easily be seen. Its such a shame that Hornady do not make the Amax in every calibre regardless of whether each calibre has match shooting merits.

Good luck, sounds like you will have a lot of fun with your rig. Have you established an optimum throat length to be cut for long for calibre bullets?. My wife's .280 gives best results with powders in the 4831 buring range, the rifle will achieve top velocities with slower burners but accuracy falls off a wee bit.
Cheers, Nathan
http://www.ballisticstudies.com

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.