16.5" 6.5 Creedmoor capabilities

gshowell1

Hello all,
New to the forums and this is my first post.

I recently built up a Remington 783 6.5 creedmoor with the16.5" tapered heavy barrel. I mainly wanted it for use with my silencerco hybrid, to keep the package relatively short. I also installed silencero's muzzle brake. Glass is a vortex diamonback tactical 6-24.

I've only just gotten it broken in and zeroed out to 100, but what I'm wondering is what I should expect out 1,000 and beyond. With that shorter barrel, will it still be pretty capable from any of yalls experience? My main problem right now is just trying to find somewhere I can stretch it out that far lol

Factory ammo or hand loads?
What bullet?
What velocity?
How accurate at 100?
What is your intended target? Steel or meat?

Those are your determining factors. Without that info, an educated response is difficult.
I'm using the Hornady 140gr. ELD MATCH, around 2,700fps (off the box not chrono'd) and all within 1"
Going for steel. Just want to test the true capabilities of the rifle first at this barrel length.

I'm using the Hornady 140gr. ELD MATCH, around 2,700fps (off the box not chrono'd) and all within 1"
Going for steel. Just want to test the true capabilities of the rifle first at this barrel length.
While MV will vary barrel-to-barrel, I can say confidently that you aren't getting 2700 fps from factory ammo out of a 16.5" barrel. The MV listed on the box is based on a 24" test barrel. I have a pretty fast 22" bartlein that will shoot factory 140 ELDM at about 2740 fps (+ or - depending on the Lot). I'd bet you will be in the 2500 - 2600 fps range.

You didn't ask, but a 16.5" barrel will benefit more by going with a shorter (lighter) bullet to gain some velocity. To your question, depending on your elevation and the actual MV, your bullet may or may not go transonic before 1,000 yards, which will make it pretty sporty. Your bullet might also remain above transonic, which will make it a bit easier to be consistent, but wind could be a challenge with a time of flight of 1.5 sec (maybe longer). Danger space is also going to start getting tight, and MV SD could make hitting even a 1 MOA plate quite challenging in low wind conditions. You'll want a good rangefinder with a calibrated aiming point to make sure your getting a solid range on target.

Personally, for a 16.5" 6.5CM, I'd focus on about 600 yards (give or take) and in shooting small targets with shorter/faster bullets in varying conditions (not that you asked, haha).

Euler thank you for that info! I have seen some videos that suggested the shorter barrel guys sticking to the 120ish grain bullets.
I would like to be able to accomplish hitting steel at 1000, but obviously truly effectively using the rifle to engage at 500 or so consistently.

Any recommendations on a range finder? For my 100 yard zero I have a cheapo golf range finder for now.

I was working in QL when I read your post, so I decided to simulate the difference in barrel length. I found a load of H4350 that pushed the 140 ELDM 2706 fps in a 24" barrel. Shortening the barrel length to 16.5" dropped velocity to 2476 fps. Using a ballistic app, you would be able to confirm actual fps based on actual vs projected drops.

I was working in QL when I read your post, so I decided to simulate the difference in barrel length. I found a load of H4350 that pushed the 140 ELDM 2706 fps in a 24" barrel. Shortening the barrel length to 16.5" dropped velocity to 2476 fps. Using a ballistic app, you would be able to confirm actual fps based on actual vs projected drops.

just_jon thank you!! I use the Hornady app so I will be able to put that in and confirm.

Thanks again!

Hello all,
New to the forums and this is my first post.

I recently built up a Remington 783 6.5 creedmoor with the16.5" tapered heavy barrel. I mainly wanted it for use with my silencerco hybrid, to keep the package relatively short. I also installed silencero's muzzle brake. Glass is a vortex diamonback tactical 6-24.

I've only just gotten it broken in and zeroed out to 100, but what I'm wondering is what I should expect out 1,000 and beyond. With that shorter barrel, will it still be pretty capable from any of yalls experience? My main problem right now is just trying to find somewhere I can stretch it out that far lol
It will not be capable of much at 1000 and beyond unless the wind is dead I run a 8.5lb 18" 6.5 creed pushing 140 berger vld-h's at 2600 with Hornady's brass and h4350. It's a milder load shoots 1/2-5/8 moa at 100. On calm days it does ok at 750 yds on a 12" plate. Once the wind starts getting over 4mph cold bore hits become difficult. I think of it as more of a 500-600 yard gun for deer. A 140 vld at 2500fps 3500DA goes subsonic around 1200 yards. No doubt you can plink steel past 1000 you just won't be very effective at ranges past 800yards IMO for cold bore hits on 1 moa plates. But if your just wanting to stretch out your rifle and plink a 4x4' steel plate at 1000 go for it. It will be fun and practice for dialing wind. Although If your going to shoot factory I would try a different kind that will shoot closer to 1/2 moa. You can't expect much out of a 1moa 16" 6.5 creed at 1000 yards.
Sometimes at the end of the day I dump a Mag of 87gr bthp s out of my 16" 243win at my 1300 yard plate just for the heck of it. I usually hit it at least once with a sideways impact :).

It will not be capable of much at 1000 and beyond unless the wind is dead I run a 8.5lb 18" 6.5 creed pushing 140 berger vld-h's at 2600 with Hornady's brass and h4350. It's a milder load shoots 1/2-5/8 moa at 100. On calm days it does ok at 750 yds on a 12" plate. Once the wind starts getting over 4mph cold bore hits become difficult. I think of it as more of a 500-600 yard gun for deer. A 140 vld at 2500fps 3500DA goes subsonic around 1200 yards. No doubt you can plink steel past 1000 you just won't be very effective at ranges past 800yards IMO for cold bore hits on 1 moa plates. But if your just wanting to stretch out your rifle and plink a 4x4' steel plate at 1000 go for it. It will be fun and practice for dialing wind. Although If your going to shoot factory I would try a different kind that will shoot closer to 1/2 moa. You can't expect much out of a 1moa 16" 6.5 creed at 1000 yards.
Sometimes at the end of the day I dump a Mag of 87gr bthp s out of my 16" 243win at my 1300 yard plate just for the heck of it. I usually hit it at least once with a sideways impact :).

That sounds about like my expectations. Obviously nothing serious out to 1000 but it will be fun to try!
As others have said, it sounds like I need to pick up some lighter 120'ish grain bullets for that day.

You would be better off with 140s out far and 120s for closer ranges if you were going to run multiple loads.
With 120 eldms at 2600 vs 140 elms at 2500. At 1000 yards the 120 has about 3-4" more wind drift for a 5mph 3cl wind according to AB. In reality from experience with my 18" 6.5 creed when the wind is 5-10mph the 120s will drift 1-1.5 moa or more than the 140 at 750 yards and as the winds get higher this gets exaggerated even more.
Both loads were shooting a little over half Moa. I was using 120gr SMKs and 140gr Hornady bthp's not a perfect apples to apples comparison but both have relatively low bc's for those calibers and weights compared to what's available.
Shot both to get an idea for yourself. Although with factory ammo it might be hard to get a true comparison if one ammo shoots 1moa when the other ammo type is shooting 1/2 moa. In general a heavy for caliber bullet with a high bc will have less drift at longer ranges where a bullet is getting near transonic and will retain velocity better at these ranges despite a lighter lower bc bullet that starts out faster from the muzzle.

Lots of fun to be had with the 16", just going to be louder and a little more difficult than with the 26". As above, even at lower speeds the heavier bullets will buck the wind better. Without a Chrono you will have to work backwards to find velocity based on drops at distance.

Euler thank you for that info! I have seen some videos that suggested the shorter barrel guys sticking to the 120ish grain bullets.
I would like to be able to accomplish hitting steel at 1000, but obviously truly effectively using the rifle to engage at 500 or so consistently.

Any recommendations on a range finder? For my 100 yard zero I have a cheapo golf range finder for now.
I have great luck with the BR .... range funded by Gunwerks range, dial, and shoot.