16"-18" full bull barrel idea

Deer mangler

I'm looking to build a compact coyote gun with a 16"-18" heavy bull barrel in either .22-250 or .243. I was wondering if anyone has built one or am I barking up the wrong tree. I'm looking to shoot 300-400 yards. And input would be great. Thanks.

Since my favorite rifles are less than 20" barrelled. I think you have a good idea. I recently chopped the 26" barrel on my 6.5 Creedmoor to 18.6" finished length. For my purposes I didn't loose anything but gained a lot of handiness. I really liked it before. Now I just love the thing. It still prints groups in the .3s . Occasionally better if I'm really on my game. It still weighs around 11 lbs all up without a bipod on it. Tho I lost some velocity I'm still around 2600 fps with 140 gr class bullets. And 2700 fps with 130s. One guide/ trapper in the area spends his winters with a Ruger M77 mk2 stainless Compact in 223 and has killed all kinds of fur with it up to and including big wolves and caribou. He swears by it. I think an 18" 243 would be just the ticket for what you are doing with it.

Since my favorite rifles are less than 20" barrelled. I think you have a good idea. I recently chopped the 26" barrel on my 6.5 Creedmoor to 18.6" finished length. For my purposes I didn't loose anything but gained a lot of handiness. I really liked it before. Now I just love the thing. It still prints groups in the .3s . Occasionally better if I'm really on my game. It still weighs around 11 lbs all up without a bipod on it. Tho I lost some velocity I'm still around 2600 fps with 140 gr class bullets. And 2700 fps with 130s. One guide/ trapper in the area spends his winters with a Ruger M77 mk2 stainless Compact in 223 and has killed all kinds of fur with it up to and including big wolves and caribou. He swears by it. I think an 18" 243 would be just the ticket for what you are doing with it.

Oh man I could never do that to my 6.5 cm but on the other hand instead of a .243 I guess another 6.5 cm wouldn't hurt. What kind of range are you getting out of your rifle

Where I've been hunting 400 yards is about all I'll get and the short barrel will work fine for that. Even 500 is totally doable. Since I'll be staying with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Chopped, stretched. I'de like to have 15 of them. I'm down to about 5 center fire rifle carts. But the bulk of my rifles will be this one. Chopping my current one was the easiest least expensive way to get a carbine length Creedmoor. Now that I have it its all I want to hunt with anymore.

i am planning on doing the same thing. 16" or 18" 6.5x47 lapua. I think going with the larger bore and smaller cases with a shorter barreled rifle is the way to go. The more efficient the case is the better off you will be. If you do a 16" 22-250 you might as well just do a .223. A 223 with a faster twist barrel and some hevy bullets will get you to 4 or 500 no problem.

I had a Model 7 custom 20" bull .22-250 years ago till the barrel go shot-out. Then I rebarreled it to .308 Win. Would like to have another one just like it someday. .22-250 is a fun little caliber to shoot.

I've been looking around a bit I remington has 16.5 .223 that can be picked up kinda cheap. I might start with that and if that don't work how I like it I might do some rebarreling. But too many options and I want to keep it low cost. Anyone ever shoot one of those? I believe they came in .223, 300 blackout and .308

I've been looking around a bit I remington has 16.5 .223 that can be picked up kinda cheap. I might start with that and if that don't work how I like it I might do some rebarreling. But too many options and I want to keep it low cost. Anyone ever shoot one of those? I believe they came in .223, 300 blackout and .308
If you try to rebarrel a .223 to anything larger, you will have to open up the bolt face as well. Only a handful of calibers use the small .223 bolt face (.223 and .300 BLK use the same bolt face, but .308 Win uses the larger .470" bolt face). You will have to have it opened up to a .470" for calibers like .22-250, .243, 6mm Rem, .308 Win, etc... You will also have to chance out the magazine follower, and might have to open up the feed rails of the action.

Once that's all been done, there's no going back to a .223 with that action.

Not that there's anything wrong with your choice, just making sure you are aware.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.