156 gr wildcats in factory 25-06 will they work?????????

30-06 boy

thinking about trying some 156 rbbt wildcats in my 25-06.rifle is not throated for them.i would imagine they are very long and will take up some powder space in case,being the rifle is not throated for them and being seated in so far.if they do work,how about a starting load of rl 22?thanks

I haven't tried any 156gr. bullets in my 25-06, but am abig fan of RL-22 in this cartridge. Having said that, if your barrel is a common 1-10 twist, I doubt that you can push the 156 grainers fast enough to stabilize them,

Jim

Do you shoot at Mifflin ever?

Do you shoot at Quantico ever?

I have some 130 gr RBBT Wildcats and I doubt that you can stabilize them to achieve reasonable accuracy but you are welcome to 10 if it is of no trouble to me. If those work then you can try some of the 140s and see if they work which I am sure the sun will rise in the east as usual and the laws of physics will prevail so they won't work.

Remember the expression "if it is of no trouble to me".

A 1-10 twist is not enough for the 156 gr ULD RBBT at any velocity you could drive them to. I have tried in my 257 Allen Mag. Even driving them to 3400 fps would not keep them on point.

A 1-8 is marginal and even with that you need to be able to drive them over 3000 fps which I do not believe you could do in a 25-06.

A 1-7 would be your best bet and you would want to go with a barrel with a thin land design for low baring surface compression %. That is with the original J-4 jacketed bullets. With the new Sierra jackets that Richard will be using, the land design will me much less critical.

So to answer your question, I would not waste the money trying them in the standard 25-06.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

I tried the 156 grain Wildcats in my 25/06AI (24 in 10 twist barrel) to see what velocity that case would produce with that bullet weight. It achieved 2,830 fps (63.0/H870), and as expected I got full bullet profile keyholes on the 50 yard target.

My 25/06AI was a standard 25/06 for the first 130 shots before it was rechambered to the AI, which produced an increase in velocity of about 225 fps. As an example with the 100 grain NBT, 62.0/Re 22 produced 3570 fps in 25/06AI, and 57.0/Re22 produced 3,345 fps in 25/06 mode.

Consequently, I estimate that the 25/06 would achieve about 2,600 fps with the 156 grain WC, and at that starting velocity, you certainly would not have a flat trajectory.

IMHO Re 22 would not be a suitable powder use with that bullet weight, as the starting load would be about 42.0 grains, and the maximum about 46.0 grains. This means there is a lot of air space in the case, even with the base of the 156 grain WC projecting about .375 below the neck/shoulder junction.

I suggest you take Kirby's excellent advice and not bother with trying the 156 grain WC's in your 25/06, as I believe it would not be worth the time, effort, and expense. Hope the above is of some help. Brian.

ok,i didn't even think about the twist untill i logged off the internet.so,what are my best bullet choices (115-120 grain) for the 25-06?i have 100 smk's and 117 hornady btsp.are the 115 nosler bt's about the best out there?my main long range toy is my 300wm,but i'd like to play with my 25-06.100 smk over 56 gr of rl22 shot 1 1/4" 3 shot group at 300 yards.jason

buffalobob,no i have never shot at mifflin or quantico.thanks for the offer for 10 bullets.i will pass on them though.thanks again

If you want to try some Wildcats with the higher BC then commerical bullets. Try the 115 and 125 gr ULD RBBT. They are designed for conventional twist rifles in the chambering class you have. They should both work if your rifle likes them.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have shot both the 125' RBBT's and the 130gr FB's in standard 25-06's and they did wonderful. Go with the RL-22 or slower possibly H-1000 and you should get good velocity as well.

I have all the components to build an Ackley Improved version, but not the funds right now. The barrel is a 28"-1-9" Broughton 5C which I am hoping will get things rocking along pretty well as mentioned by Brian, not much of an increase but still suitable enough for me and my purposes. With the faster twist hopefully it will also run the 142's as well but only time will tell.

Good luck with your and if you can get in touch with Richard he will definately guide you in the right direction for your intended purpose.

With the velocity potential of the 25-06 and its AI sibling, I would say the 142 gr ULD RBBT would be by far the best choice for offering the best combination of velocity and BC.

Nobody ever said the 140 and 142 gr bullets were anything but perfect in the 6.5-284, same thing with this class of 25 cal chamberings. The big 156 is just a bit heavy for this class of chambering.

Personally, I would say the WSM and similiar performance and capacity chamberings would be more suitable for bottom end choices for this huge 25 cal bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

just ordered a box of 115 vld bergers from midway to split with my dad.i could not find the listed bc of the wilcat 115,125 rbbt's on thier website.does anyone know what they are?the bergers are .523.sierra,hornady,speer,nosler have nothing even close.thanks.jason

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.