150gn .308 loads

mkk

I've got a Ruger American Predator with 1:10 18" barrel, bedded in a Boyd's stock, Timney trigger, shooting suppressed

It shoots the 168s .5 MOA, no problems there. Wanting to try some 150s

What's your go to set up? I like shooting bullets that I can hunt with too

Thanks
Mike

I've got a Ruger American Predator with 1:10 18" barrel, bedded in a Boyd's stock, Timney trigger, shooting suppressed

It shoots the 168s .5 MOA, no problems there. Wanting to try some 150s

What's your go to set up? I like shooting bullets that I can hunt with too

Thanks
Mike
I have the same gun loaded up for the kids, 150ttsx and cfe. My tikka barrel is also cut to 18 inches and didnt like the cfe, varget, or 748, but found good accuracy with reloader 15. Just need to find what powder the barrel likes.

I have the same gun loaded up for the kids, 150ttsx and cfe. My tikka barrel is also cut to 18 inches and didnt like the cfe, varget, or 748, but found good accuracy with reloader 15. Just need to find what powder the barrel likes.
The best powder I have found for the 308 Win is the leverevolution. Can use the same charges as those listed for CFE223.

Not surprising that this thread is ovewhelmed with lead core bullet users. I have hunted in Africa, Canada, Alaska, and the US using the 150 gr Badlands BD or BD2 from a 20" 308 Win and an MV of 2950 fps. Never had to shoot anything more than once regardless of the angle of impact or distance and recovered only one bullet. With an 18" barrel you will be compromised on speed. The 150 BD2 has the highest BC for its weight, so will retain its energy and speed better than any other 150 gr .308 cal bullet out there,

The best powder I have found for the 308 Win is the leverevolution. Can use the same charges as those listed for CFE223.
Interesting. That leverevolution is a real sleeper of a powder. I think a lot of folks don't see past the marketing and think it's "for leverguns - 30-30 only" type of thing.

But it shows a lot of promise in my 243 (old savage 99) with hbn treated Barnes X 75 grain (the real old ones from the late 90s or early 2000s with no relief grooves)

Hit 3500 fps out of a 22 inch barrel no pressure signs or issues.

However, @Gingerman has warned of his own experience with it going from 0-60 really fast in the pressure spike department so gonna back off a little and play it safe with this one, especially as I don't know how temp affected it is - what's fine in March is not in July sometimes.

In your experience, is it temp sensitive?

I know it's a progressive burn rate double base like superformance, rl17, rl26….

These powders can definitely allow greater velocity without exceeding max psi. But when you cross the line it can be more disastrous so I'm after information haha.

Also…HOLY SMOKES YOU AINT KIDDING about the similarity to CFE223. Makes me wonder if they're almost the same **** thing. I hope not, cfe 223 has proven spikey and pretty darn temp sensitive.

But point of reference for everyone to back up what @nralifer isnsaying about leverevolution and cfe223 data being interchangeable…I had a hard time believing that and thought it was probably dangerous advise at first.

Then I reviewed my data from last Saturday.

With that 75 hbn Barnes x in that 243….couldn't believe it.

40 grains of cfe223 was 3093 fps.
40 grains of leverevolution was 3090

Come to think of it I don't know that I've ever seen two differently marketed powders be this identical. Heck shot to shot deviation is more than 3 fps haha.

Ima email hodgdon about this…I have some
Suspicions now 🤣

These are the most accurate bullets I've found in .308 win. 150 grain Hornady Interloc. Not a great BC number, but seriously accurate and hits like a lightning bolt. Unless you've trying to shoot deer at 600 or more its a great bullet.
Plain old hornady interlocks are awesome, especially the flat base ones.

My old 270 loves nothing more than the 130
Flat base interlock somewhere between 3000 and 3200 fps depending on powder. Most accurate pill for that rifle.

On deer size game they all work (130, 140, 150) but the 130 doesn't penetrate any less than the other two and seems to be more violent as it goes. It is clearly and visibly a more emphatic killer.

I haven't shot a lot of 150 grain pills in my 308 but the ones I have seen the best groups with have been the 150 Badlands and the 150 Hammer bullets.

I do plan to try the 155 Scenar for a cup/core option. I've heard good reports for on game performance from them.