150 lrab performance on deer

We were curious about the high vel impact of the little blackout bullet yesterday. So we decided to see what it would do at 3400fps. Loaded a full load in 30-06 with a 10" twist. Shot it into lined up milk jugs at 25'. It completely opened up in the 1st jug then tracked true through the rest of the jugs and did not stop. Not sure how that deer stopped one. We then tried it with one jug and tight news paper to stop it for inspection. The tight dry paper caused the bullet to yaw as it stopped. The shank of this bullet is so small/short compared to our other bullets that I am not sure what to think. I think we are going to have to start working with gel. So time consuming and expensive.

Wildcatter,

Go whack another deer for the sake of science. :D I look forward to your results.

Steve

Based on your results I will try to get close and go for behind the shoulder again. I think, in the buck, the bullet didn't hit the lung but the bone fragments did. I wish I took more time with the inspection, but life is rough for some old men. Perhaps you should not change anything on that Blackout bullet.

Ran a LRAB 142gr 6.5 through my 6.5x55 Swede. MV=2794. Impact on a 120 lb live weight axis doe @ 109 yards. Impact is estimated at 2690 or so. Entrance was just behind the shoulder:

Exit was through the shoulder blade on the off side:

Exit wound is just over 1" diameter, little meat loss. I'm in agreement that 3200 is a bit high.

A friend shot a Texas Hill Country whitetail doe at approximately 125 yards with his 270. (I don't remember what bullet he was using, I think a regular CNC-style bullet) Slight downward angle on the shot. The bullet entered midway on the shoulder and exited 3" behind the same shoulder. Knocked the doe down. She got back up and he managed another shot the anchored her.
Upon inspection, the initial shot was redirected off of the shoulder blade but did not exit! He found it next to the ridge on the shoulder blade. His second shot was behind the same shoulder and exited behind the off shoulder.
He went back and started his reloading process again.

Ran a LRAB 142gr 6.5 through my 6.5x55 Swede. MV=2794. Impact on a 120 lb live weight axis doe @ 109 yards. Impact is estimated at 2690 or so. Entrance was just behind the shoulder:

Exit was through the shoulder blade on the off side:

Exit wound is just over 1" diameter, little meat loss. I'm in agreement that 3200 is a bit high.

A friend shot a Texas Hill Country whitetail doe at approximately 125 yards with his 270. (I don't remember what bullet he was using, I think a regular CNC-style bullet) Slight downward angle on the shot. The bullet entered midway on the shoulder and exited 3" behind the same shoulder. Knocked the doe down. She got back up and he managed another shot the anchored her.
Upon inspection, the initial shot was redirected off of the shoulder blade but did not exit! He found it next to the ridge on the shoulder blade. His second shot was behind the same shoulder and exited behind the off shoulder.
He went back and started his reloading process again.

Much better performance at the lower velocity.

Based on your results I will try to get close and go for behind the shoulder again. I think, in the buck, the bullet didn't hit the lung but the bone fragments did. I wish I took more time with the inspection, but life is rough for some old men. Perhaps you should not change anything on that Blackout bullet.

I'm thinking this would be an ideal bullet in a short handy little 308.

Not ready to change anything on it yet. Thought about lengthening the body and shortening the nose. Although this would make it gain weight. But make it retain better shape after impact. We will see. Perhaps a new design all together.

Steve

Not ready to change anything on it yet. Thought about lengthening the body and shortening the nose. Although this would make it gain weight. But make it retain better shape after impact. We will see. Perhaps a new design all together.

Steve

IMO a 110 is the ideal weight for a solid in a small capacity 30 caliber.

Steve

Please don't change the shape. If you make more weight merely add maybe .100 in length to the shank. If I understand the weight I think it would still keep it below 110 grains and might even raise the BC a couple hundredths.

Please don't change the shape. If you make more weight merely add maybe .100 in length to the shank. If I understand the weight I think it would still keep it below 110 grains and might even raise the BC a couple hundredths.

Yep. If we add to the length of the shank it will get in the way of powder capacity in the blackout. We will see. I still like it like it is.

Steve

Not ready to change anything on it yet. Thought about lengthening the body and shortening the nose. Although this would make it gain weight. But make it retain better shape after impact. We will see. Perhaps a new design all together........Steve

Nothing wrong with it as is. Fills a small case niche very well.

I "think" a bigger market exist for something in the 126 range, from folks making due with a larger case until kids grow into dad's -06.

A line up can get too complete.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.