15 or 18 Power Binos

Etson

I am looking at getting a set of higher magnification binoculars but can't decide between a set of 15s or 18s. I understand the difference in the two as far as specs. I am hoping to get some opinions from folks that have used both and what they end up using most. This will be for mule and coues deer hunting. I typically carry a set of 10x42s and am not looking to replace those. Just want something to set on a tripod and glass.

I directly compared the higher end maven 15 and 18s. For me the 15s were easier to use. The depth of field is much better on 15s and the field of view is wider. Which translates to just an easier overall glassing experience. The 18s would shine if you were trying to use them instead of a spotting scope, with occasional glassing to look for game. Or if you're going to use them for primarily 1-2 miles away and don't need as much FOV…but the BTX is an even better tool for that.

I'm with willfrye027: "The 18s would shine if you were trying to use them instead of a spotting scope, with occasional glassing to look for game." Which I did for the last couple of years with a pair of Vortex 18x. A couple months ago I bought the super small & light Kowa TSN-501. I wanted lighter and more compact and I gained a better range of magnification:
(by the way, I'm not a big fan of OpticsPlanet)

I'll be selling off the Vortex so they don't sit in the safe...

Sure sounds like you want a 15-45x55 spotting scope. The 15x or 18x binoculars are going to cost way more money if you actually want some clear ones and probably weigh just as much or heavier.

Kowa 553 or 554:if your budget is under $2000 which is what the good quality 15x or 18x binoculars would cost anyways. They're ridiculously clear and super light and B&H was selling them for $1499 maybe call them see if they give a better price over the phone or call Doug at Cameraland for price quote last price for them IIRC was $1399 at Cameraland few months ago. It's the ultimate in lightweight only 28.5 ounces top of the line spotter with the best glass that money can possibly buy. It's a one and done spotter. No need to ever upgrade if you already bought the best on the first try.

If you don't mind lugging a heavy 50 ounce15-45x65 Chinese Athlon Ares UHD Gen 2 for around $450 it's rated best in class in the $500 price point. Call around for the best prices maybe you can get one for closer to $400 shipped.

I'd say man up and go for the best on the first try with the Kowa 553 or 554 lightest possible top of the line spotter you can ever buy only 28.5 ounces.