145 grain 6.5mm Barnes match burner

I ran some 145's in my 6.5-284 but the 140 MB actually gave better results as far as velocity and consistency out to 1000.
145's gave random pressure issues and felt tighter during bullet seating.

I ran them up to 3180 in a fast barreled 6.5prc with 59gr RL26. Accuracy was best in this rifle at 60k off lands. I have 230k freebore in this chamber.
I'd love to hear any more experience you have with the 145 MB please if you don't mind. I have put just over 11k of the 140 Match Burners down range with a 6.5 and they have been stellar. During the wuflu shortage a few of us bought some 145s(all with 8 twist barrels) and it was abysmal. Forget the SD and ES it was so unstable I had key hole paper proof was so glad I didn't use my can to test. No charge or seating depth would get me under 1 1/2" so just figured the Berger stability calculator was exactly right and that was that back to 140 MB.

Are you running a 7 or 7.5 twist? Would love to hear your barrel specs and any chrono data and especially if you stretched the 145 out at distance please. Thanks for any insights as the bullet at least in in theory could be a dream at ELR withe PRC speeds.

If I built a 6.5 PRC it would be an easy button Proof prefit for my Origin so 26" 7.5 twist. All new to me running these faster twist barrels and have even seen some 7 twist options in the 6.5 PRC.

Last edited:
I'd love to hear any more experience you have with the 145 MB please if you don't mind. I have put just over 11k of the 140 Match Burners down range with a 6.5 and they have been stellar. During the wuflu shortage a few of us bought some 145s(all with 8 twist barrels) and it was abysmal. Forget the SD and ES it was so unstable I had key hole paper proof was so glad I didn't use my can to test. No charge or seating depth would get me under 1 1/2" so just figured the Berger stability calculator was exactly right and that was that back to 140 MB.

Are you running a 7 or 7.5 twist? Would love to hear your barrel specs and any chrono data and especially if you stretched the 145 out at distance please. Thanks for any insights as the bullet at least in in theory could be a dream at ELR withe PRC speeds.

If I built a 6.5 PRC it would be an easy button Proof prefit for my Origin so 26" 7.5 twist. All new to me running these faster twist barrels and have even seen some 7 twist options in the 6.5 PRC.
I have a 260 AI 1-8" tw and I haven't any problems with the 145 MB. Shoots accurately. Dropped a badger at 659 yards for me. I'm at 2200 ft elevation.

I've shot my 260 AI out to a mile with no issues. 2875 fps with my fire form loads being sub .5 moa. Seated to 2.800" COAL it shoots around 0.5 moa. But I ran Berger Barrel Twist Calculator and yeah you'd be better off with a 1-7.5" tw at sea level. Faster if your going to be at sea level and in a cold area.

That's strange, I also got some 145MB from around wooflu time and they work great.
Shooting them at 2805 fps from a Tikka 6.5 CM 1:8 24" bbl.

Very consistent to 1100 yds, which is the farthest I have shot them.

Edited to add: I am also at 5000' elevation, which may be the difference.

Thanks guys. Yea I'm at sea level and I wonder if that's it? For sure the testing our group did with 4350 and StaBall in various 8 twist 6.5 CM lead to a lot of laughs at least. We all love Match Burner 140g and also 112b for the guys with 6BRs.

Thanks guys. Yea I'm at sea level and I wonder if that's it? The Berger stability calculator doesn't ask for any data pertaining to location so I wouldn't know, but for sure the testing our group did with 4350 and StaBall in various 8 twist 6.5 CM lead to a lot of laughs at least.
It asks for elevation. I saw that you are in Florida so I set it to sea level. Some barrel might stabilize it even with a 1-8" twist at your elevation. But you're better off with a fast twist and 5 or more grooved barrel.