140 grs A-Max vs 140grs Nosler custom Comp. (6,5mm)

Villreinjeger

I have a 6,5x55mm, and need good long range/hunting bullet.

I've seen many have great success with the 140grs a-max, and thougt of using that bullet.

However I can get the 140grs Nosler Custom Competition considerably cheaper over here in Norway.

Would the nosler be satisfactory for light deer and such on longer ranges? (short ranges too..)

I want to use ONE bullet only in this rifle.

For other hunting i have a .338 Edge with 300grs SMK, and a 7x65R with 163 grs A-Max.

what twist rate is your rifle? I am currently working with Bergers getting 1 MOA. I just ordered nosler partitions.

I can't speak on the 6.5's, but I currently use 175grn .30cal Custom comps in .308 Winchester. They shoot excellently from my rifle. My only kill is on a groundhog at 630yds. It preformed flawlessly and I believe I will be using the same bullet for North American whitetail deer to 800yds. I am willing to bet they will do well at long range. At short range you will want to concentrate on head shots or soft tissue.

Tank

Last edited:
I only used them once in 30 caliber 155 gr NCC, it proved to be quiet deadly, it was head shot on white tail, after crushing upper jaw it exploded inside of the skull crushing it in the process. They grouped nicely to, like 0.25" 5 shots.

Match bullets aren't exactly known for being optimal bullets for medium game...that said, it should do the job just fine with good shot placement.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.