140gn SST vs. OLD 140 A-Max -- Jerry Teo.....

jb1000br

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, Jerry -- unfortunately the 140sst still doesnt come close to the old style 140Amax -- man i wish hornady would make these bullets again!!!

DSC01150.jpg

JB

been away on work. That is really cool. I have a bunch of the old gen 162gr 7mm Amax and they are super long too.

Yes, the orig 6.5 140gr Amax has a Hornady print BC of over 0.6. That means real world BC would be way higher. Just look at the length. The 240gr 30cal MK is the same length (pretty close anyways). Back up two calibres and this thing should fly really flat.

why they changed to the stubbies they have now, who knows. maybe just too hard to make consistently.

Anyways, the 140gr Amax of today is still shorter then the SST of today. Pity. Is anyone at Hornady listening?????

As to the SST being explosive, not. They are no different then the Interlocks that have worked for the last how many decades?

Just keep impact velocities below 3000fps and they will work great.

Jerry

Jerry -- Jmillard at brcentral forums works there.

I lobbied for a remake, but probably wont happen.

He says tips were brittle. and they are, but with a profile like that who gives a shite!!

Call them and beg -- ask for jeremy millard.

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jerry, My experience with the SST if obviously different than yours. Even under 3000 fps, the SST has made HUGE holes going in on mule deer. Saw an extensive article where Jon Sundra shot the 154 7mm SST in Africa and mostly recovered pieces. Not like the older 154 7mm interlock. It may be the 7mm SSTs perform differently? Only have used this one caliber with poor success.

No, we have the same type of results with the SST's. calibre hole in, 2 to 3" hole out. Why I like them. Great blood trail but most importantly, game stop moving in a hurry.

As to fragments, that would be common with any softpoint jacketed bullets. Only bonding stops this 'defect'. But like they say, if you recover the game, how did that bullet fail?

Just what you are looking for when lead meets fur. As to penetration, I have had shots go lengthwise through mulie deer and leave the same 3" exit hole. They don't move far after a hit like that.

Another hit traveled down and destroyed 14" of spine.

Enough penetration for me.

Jerry

Jerry,
I have my 7 ultra loaded with the 154 sst's @ 3350 fps. I am going to use them for whitetails in November down in Arkansas. These rounds flat out shoot in my sendero. Do you think that they will put 'em down at close range.
Thanks,
Brandon

I would suggest against trying to break too many bones at close range. Any conventional bullet is not going to be too happy hitting bone above 3000fps. Through the boiler room, look out. Big whomp.

Same goes for hard quartering shots or Texas heart shots. At that type of impact velocity, not my first choice. Will give massive expansion and this can reduce penetration.

I'm a boiler room hunter so have never had an issue with these bullets.
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.