14.5 lb hunting rifle...opinions?

WEATHERBY460

I just received a 300 win mag with an atacr scope and the total weight is 14.5lbs. How does the weight compare to other hunting rifles with the atacr scope? Will I hate all the weight. How much weight would I have saved if I went with a smaller barrel. Currently my muzzle at 28" is about .850 inches.

I have a rifle with 28" barrel in that weight range. Don't use NF scopes though. It is a dedicated long range rifle in 300 RUM. It's nothing I enjoy carrying around. I find a high vantage point and setup and wait. It is what they are designed for.

The heavy rifle is easier to shoot long range because it is very easy to steady and the weight dampens the recoil considerably. I don't think a scope change would help all that much. The weight is in the barrel and stock.

I wouldn't want to be packing it around. But like was said, it'll be easier to take long range shots. You might want to adopt a hunting tactic where you sit and view a lot of area. Then tip over one when they get within your kill range.

We have hunted with a 12 lb gun without too much trouble. The guy with the gun didn't carry a spotting scope or tripod, and hiked the gun, scopes and tripod out out while we boned the deer. His pack was much easier than ours but it was my dad. My buddy and I were mid wrestling season in great shape. We had no trouble getting the deer cut and packed up. We actually made it back to the road about the same time dad got back with the 4-wheeler.

We pack our 14. 5 ish pound rifles all over God's country because when the opportunity comes, this is what we want to take the shot with. We Have Lighter rifles that shoot well and are much easier to carry, but there is no arguing that the heavier rifle provides the most stable and consistent platform. Like I said, we pack ours miles sometimes and sure there are times while packing in or out we wished they were lighter, but we have never wished for that while laying prone and getting ready for the shot. About 4 years ago we hiked into a spot that we knew would be about 4 miles in, and we knew most opportunities would be 50-100 yards, so we decided to take our lighter rifles. Sure enough, two bulls came out on a small knob (the single only long range spot on the mountain we were on!) and we didn't have the gear to take them. That was the last time we left the bigger guns at home. For a dedicated long range gun, I like this weight.

It's all a matter of what kind of shape you're in and how far and across what kind of terrain you have to pack it.

As a rule, all else being equal heavier is steadier and steadier is more accurate.

For a dedicated LR rig 14-16lbs total weight is fairly common.

You just have to weigh all the factors, no pun intended and decide if it's right for you.

A smart guy that's serious about hunting though will not limit himself to only one rifle. If nothing else it's a really good idea to have one light and one heavy rig in the same caliber so you're ready for whatever opportunity pops up in the future.

My 300with scope, bipod, sling and loaded mag come in at 14.5lbs. Not light but the wider padded sling makes carrying out in the field a little more comfortable.

ATACR is a beast of a scope it isn't light but niether is .850 dia 28" barrel. I'm not sure what stock is on the gun. A lighter stock like the manners carbon fiber stock might be worth looking in to if weight is an issue. Or as WR said have a lighter gun in the same caliber so you can take on whatever hunting situations are thrown at you.

it's all a matter of what kind of shape you're in and how far and across what kind of terrain you have to pack it.

As a rule, all else being equal heavier is steadier and steadier is more accurate.

For a dedicated lr rig 14-16lbs total weight is fairly common.

You just have to weigh all the factors, no pun intended and decide if it's right for you.

A smart guy that's serious about hunting though will not limit himself to only one rifle. If nothing else it's a really good idea to have one light and one heavy rig in the same caliber so you're ready for whatever opportunity pops up in the future.

Ditto!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 101
I agree with wild roses statement, and I believe everyone is going have their individual preferences. When I go up in the mountains I carry my 16.5 lb edge. I have never felt that the extra weight has put me at a disadvantage. And if I am able to make it elk hunting soon I will bring a light carry rifle with me in addition with my edge and gear. When longer shots are presented at awkward shooting positions you will be glad you have the extra weight. Get in the best shape that you schedule allows and worry about your game plan for the next days hunt at night and not how sore your going to be in the morning.

I recently acquired an ATACR, being intrigued with the positive reports. After mounting it on my Rem700 Milspec 300WM which had weighed in at 12.5# with a NF NXS 50mm, I found that I reached my personal limit of weight. The added weight and bulk, which didn't seem like it would be much, crossed the threshold that turned my nicely balanced rig into a crowbar. While I heavily debated whether I should adapt myself, I eventually replaced my original scope finding that the subtle benefits of the ATACR were negated by the heavier/bulkier feel of the rifle. I'm sure this was all influenced by the fact that my go to rifle used for +90% of my hunting is a 10.5#, 6.5x284 that handles as if it were an extension of my body and deadly on game to 1000 yards. I think each person has their own limits and criteria based on their specific hunting requirements.

I'd keep the scope and get a Manners EH-1 stock. I have a .300 WM on a Defiance action with a 28" barrel and a 2" brake for a total of 30" at #5 contour I believe, and weigh 11 lb. 10 oz. loaded. I used to have a Premier LT 3-15x50 @ 25 oz, but just put the new ATACR Enhanced with the MOAR-T on there. It added 10 oz, but didn't feel noticible. A new stock could save you a lot of weight. A different scope would probably only save you 5 oz. Most are already in the 30-35oz range for your long range scopes.

I have a Remington 700 fitted with heavy (40X barrel) in 7 mm Remington Magnum. I used it at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge in the mountains of West Virginia, years ago. I will not carry that rifle in the field any more, it is a heavy pig.

Have a new Bartlein barrel in Remington Varmint to replace it with when I shoot up the ammo I have loaded up for it.

I would suggest the light Palma contour. It should do everything needed in a long range hunting rifle.

Other disadvantage of a HB rifle in flying on a float plane with a serious weight limit. When I flew to the arctic, we were limited to 65 pounds total. Choice between a sleeping bag and a light rifle or just a HB rifle is not realistic.

Good luck

Jerry

I have a rifle with 28" barrel in that weight range. Don't use NF scopes though. It is a dedicated long range rifle in 300 RUM. It's nothing I enjoy carrying around. I find a high vantage point and setup and wait. It is what they are designed for.

The heavy rifle is easier to shoot long range because it is very easy to steady and the weight dampens the recoil considerably. I don't think a scope change would help all that much. The weight is in the barrel and stock.

I agree, mostly- I have a Gen 2 and it IS heavy. I love it... but it is heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.