12X for 750 yards

Plenty for hunting. I avoid anything over 14X for hunting and regularly shoot 500-1000 on big game with no complaints. For a range or prairie dog scope the higher mag works but for a big game rifle where shots are in low light and you might get that quick 60 yard oppoortunity, less is more.

With a fine duplex it should work. I've got 4 or 5 sitting on prairie dog guns that work great out past 400 on the little buggers.
The 12x Leupold is a great scope for the money(asuming your buying used) I've pickt up all of mine for less than $375 and a couple a lot cheaper than that. The fixed scope are a lot sharper and have a bigger field of view than a variables. If they came with a genII reticle I would have a lot more of them!!

Using a 12x scope at 750 yards is similar to no magnification at 65 yards. If you can see well enough to shoot open sights or ghost rings at 65 yards, then the answer is "yes."

I use a 4x out to 250 yards, so for me a 12x would be fine to 750 yards.

Last edited:
Think about this: High magnification equates to reduced field of view and more difficulty in maintaining a steady hold. I like a variable i.e., 6.5-20X. It can be adjusted accordingly.

Personaly I prefer the 3.5X15 NXS as an all around hunting scope, nothing wrong with the 5.5X22 just my preference

Buckbrush,

I just went through the same scenario (deciding what was adequate - only for 1000yds).

In order to help me decide, I set up a couple of my existing variable power scopes on my back porch and looked over the pastures behind my home where I had good clear lanes of vision out to about 900 yds where the closest tree line is.

My debate was whether a 10x was enough for a 1000 yard hunting shot.

Bottom line after zeroing in on "cow pies" at about 700 yards, is that the 10x was absolutely enough glass to do the job. It in fact would be adequate out to 1000 yards for game size animals. (Benchrest shooting of course is another story). At that juncture, I decided that a variable scope up to 10 or 12X would be perfectly acceptable.

Is more better? Maybe, but I don't think it's "required" or in some instances even desired. Once you start getting up to the more powerful, higher quality scopes, you are paying the price with considerable added size and weight.

The only caveat to what I said above is that the quality of the optics has a lot to do with what you can or can't see at a specific magnification. Get the best quality glass you possibly can in any case. A smaller crystal clear picture beats a larger, fuzzy picture EVERY time.

Suggest you take a decent variable power scope with all the potential powers you are considering and sit down somewhere and do your own evaluation. I think you'll be surprised at what you discover. But at least you'll personally know what works for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I bought the scope. I got a good deal so I can shoot it for a while and see what happens. I did mount it on the gun and scanned our pastures at 12x looking at calves and I think if I spend some time behind it it will work just fine.

I thank everyone for their advice.

Regards.

I used to use a 10x Leupold UltraMark 10 to shoot clay birds out to 750yds. Didn't have any problems at the time. My eyes aren't what they used to be, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.