12GA Rounds for Grizz?

I suggest googling the ADFG (Alaska Dept of Fish and Game) for firearms for Alaska hunting and bear protection. They have at least 2 articles with relevant guidance. There is also an interesting article on the Forest service site (fs.fed.gov) ranking different firearms for bear protection. It is a bit dated (1983) from the perspective of bullet construction but it is relevant. Proficiency and coolness of hand are important. . . . . My wife carries a 22 for protection when we go berry picking. She says she only has to be the fastest runner if we have bear trouble. Not sure what she means.
Means you better get UR *** on a tread mill. Either way, there's no way I'd leave my wife bear bait in a foot race. She'd be safe and I'd be in the hands of a higher power.

Appreciate the responses guys I definitely do.

I should've elaborated on my setup, it's a home defense, 16" barrel pistol grip with a hologram for site. Holds 8 rounds.

We have 7 or 8 guys, more than likely 2 different hunt groups. We will all have our pistols but one guy will have the shotgun just in case.
Like the deputy said, "I ain't gonna get shot for lack of shootin back". Always a good idea to have spray or pistol or better yet both attached to your person in addition to a long gun. You don't want to be elbow deep gutting an elk with your long gun leaning on a tree ten feet away or your spray or pistol in a day pack. Best to have a pistol in a chest rig while you work. Same goes for fishing or any time your in their living room. No personal experience either. I just like to be safe and secure. Either in the woods or the hoods.

I suggest googling the ADFG (Alaska Dept of Fish and Game) for firearms for Alaska hunting and bear protection. They have at least 2 articles with relevant guidance. There is also an interesting article on the Forest service site (fs.fed.gov) ranking different firearms for bear protection. It is a bit dated (1983) from the perspective of bullet construction but it is relevant. Proficiency and coolness of hand are important. . . . . My wife carries a 22 for protection when we go berry picking. She says she only has to be the fastest runner if we have bear trouble. Not sure what she means.
You don't?

Back when I lived in Alaska guys recommended alternating rounds of slug and buck.

Full disclosure: Heard lots of 4th hand stories, but never talked to anyone who actually shot a griz with that combo.

Did talk to a Alaska Fish and Game officer who said that a shotgun was much better than a pistol, but not as good as a rifle. He was the guy responsible for dispatching problem bears so he was in a position to know.
My friend use to work for Ak F&G and he did dispatch several bears ,like you said, Buckshot
and then Slug . That was F&G issued

Hey guys, we have a long hunt in the heart of grizzly territory this year in Wyoming (archery)

We will have the call guy carry the short shotgun for defense in the timber.

Curious what rounds everyone uses or suggests would be the best? Slugs? Buck?

Thanks!
What kind of "short" shotgun? Mossberg Shockwave style?? I have both the tradational under barrel tube magazine as well as the removable Magazine styles to play with. Very tote able across chest/under arm/on back for rapid engagement with modified BooneyPacker sling. And with practice and a Crimson Trace LS-250 SaddleLaser, I find the Shockwave to be very effective for close action.......on stationary and moving target, not toothed/clawed critters yet thankfully. Does take several boxws over several days practice to handle the slugs and 3" buck, but can be developed just like shooting .44 magnum, 460 and 500s. I'll deal with the recoil damage after the threat is turned off. If not turned off, recoil damage will be least of concerns. Also, evaluating a SRM1216 semi-auto semi-bullpup (18.5"bbl; 32.5"OAL; 7.25lbs empty) with 16+1 capacity......4 rounds in each of 4 rotating tube magazines. Can load slugs, buck, shot in any tube and rotate to desired tube. 4-tube mag quickly swaps out to reload or change to other type rounds.

Slugs are lethal, with great penetration, but only hits one spot which might not be the immediate OFF switch in a one-shot or die scenario. Thinking maybe 00Buck might up one's survivability with also good penetration ,but provide more probability of hitting "turn out the lights circuitry" rather than slugs penetrating but not striking the OFF switch. Bear's brain sits lower than most realize rather protected by an armor-like skull. Head on shot, one would want penetration up the nose to follow the nasal passage into the brain for lights out NOW effect. Slug would either hit the nasal route or not. The 00buck might have more probability of hitting the nasal-to-brain route and also put out the eyes. At that close "I'm gonna die" range, not gonna worry about olfactory senses. Anyone else with comparative thoughts on slugs vs. 00buck performance.

Last edited:
It's get to be a hell of a lot to carry. They make a very shot 12ga shotgun, but it takes a class 3 lic. Go luck on that.

I agree fending off a bear with bird shot is not a recommended practice, as far buckshot as non-effective past 25 yards I have to disagree, I have taken several coyotes over 75 yards and I have taken some fairly large hogs past 50 yards with 000 Buckshot and they were DRT. If you dump 3 pretty quick shots of 000 buckshot into a bear I'm thinking its going to pull up. But I would much rather have a 45/70 with 300 Gr pill. The Remington buckshot I use has the pellets incased in wax and hold a tight pattern for a ways out there.
Back in 1976 I was working on the Trans Alaska Pipeline, we were about 20 miles north of the Brooks Range on the ROW in a welding tent, we had a big ole Grizz sneak up on us. We had the door to the tent open as it was pretty warm that day, well that bear stuck its head inside the door of the tent, he or she was about 2 feet from me and the welder, I screamed bear and the welder rolled under the pipe and I instantly jumped over the pipe, I dont think I have ever been that scared in my life. That bears head looked as big as a #3 washtub, The pipe was too low for it to cross under and too tall and slick to cross over the top thank God. It was just God's good graces that keep one or both of us from being torn up by that animal. You better have nerves of steel when one of those beasts gets close and personal and hope that God is with you and your an accurate quick shot artist you are going to need it.

My Benelli M-4 loaded with 3 inch 000 buckshot at 30-35 yards would ruin a bear! It smashes a cement block to dust.
I tend to agree with you sir, I have shot 000 in 3 and 3.5 inch and it has a devastating effect on what ever is on the receiving end, a couple of the hogs I've shot with those shells were over 400lbs and it was like they were pole axed.

What kind of "short" shotgun? Mossberg Shockwave style?? I have both the tradational under barrel tube magazine as well as the removable Magazine styles to play with. Very tote able across chest/under arm/on back for rapid engagement with modified BooneyPacker sling. And with practice and a Crimson Trace LS-250 SaddleLaser, I find the Shockwave to be very effective for close action.......on stationary and moving target, not toothed/clawed critters yet thankfully. Does take several boxws over several days practice to handle the slugs and 3" buck, but can be developed just like shooting .44 magnum, 460 and 500s. I'll deal with the recoil damage after the threat is turned off. If not turned off, recoil damage will be least of concerns. Also, evaluating a SRM1216 semi-auto semi-bullpup (18.5"bbl; 32.5"OAL; 7.25lbs empty) with 16+1 capacity......4 rounds in each of 4 rotating tube magazines. Can load slugs, buck, shot in any tube and rotate to desired tube. 4-tube mag quickly swaps out to reload or change to other type rounds.

Slugs are lethal, with great penetration, but only hits one spot which might not be the immediate OFF switch in a one-shot or die scenario. Thinking maybe 00Buck might up one's survivability with also good penetration ,but provide more probability of hitting "turn out the lights circuitry" rather than slugs penetrating but not striking the OFF switch. Bear's brain sits lower than most realize rather protected by an armor-like skull. Head on shot, one would want penetration up the nose to follow the nasal passage into the brain for lights out NOW effect. Slug would either hit the nasal route or not. The 00buck might have more probability of hitting the nasal-to-brain route and also put out the eyes. At that close "I'm gonna die" range, not gonna worry about olfactory senses. Anyone else with comparative thoughts on slugs vs. 00buck performance.
That's to say if buckshot will even penetrate the skull. Those pellets are still soft lead.