129sst 6.5 Creedmoor load data h4350

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

I am working up a load on the tikka 6.5 Creedmoor.
Starline brass
cci 200
41.8 GR H4350
Hornady 129 SST
2765FPS

I can only find one load book with any data on the Hornady 129SST
The Hornady book list max charge at 42.8 Gr H4350 max velocity 2700 FPS.

Does anyone have any load data with this powder and bullet combo going faster than 2700FPS?

I concerned I may be pushing the load. I am one grain short of max charge but 65FPS over velocity. Its been cold 15 degrees . Hopefully I have been offsetting the effects of the cold weather by just stepping outside with room temp gun and ammo and shooting a 3 shot group. I am not seeing in obvious signs of pressure (primmer Pic Attached), but I am new to reloading. Normally I would back the powder down to get 2700FPS But this load happens to work out on my custom Leopold CDS Dial for my Barnes 127 LRX load. It be nice to use the same dial for both loads. The cheaper sst for practice and the LRX for hunting.

Attachments

• IMG20240116232331.jpg
    IMG20240116232331.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 27
Use the search feature here on pressure and load developement. You do not have to find the exact bullet with the exact powder, case, primer, etc. etc. A 130 cup/core is a 130 cup/core. When shooting mono's (use search again) there are some load differences. Start low and work up.

Yes of course, I done some searching before I posted. I found several people loading up 130 edl or 130 Bergers with up to 42.4 grains. which is way higher than any published data I can find. Hogen's data only list one 130 GR bullet A accubond with a max load of 39.2 @2687 FPS 60,400 PSI My thinking if I can't find any published data for the charge and velocity, I am getting I may be pushing my pressure.

I am working up a load on the tikka 6.5 Creedmoor.
Starline brass
cci 200
41.8 GR H4350
Hornady 129 SST
2765FPS

I can only find one load book with any data on the Hornady 129SST
The Hornady book list max charge at 42.8 Gr H4350 max velocity 2700 FPS.

Does anyone have any load data with this powder and bullet combo going faster than 2700FPS?

I concerned I may be pushing the load. I am one grain short of max charge but 65FPS over velocity. Its been cold 15 degrees . Hopefully I have been offsetting the effects of the cold weather by just stepping outside with room temp gun and ammo and shooting a 3 shot group. I am not seeing in obvious signs of pressure (primmer Pic Attached), but I am new to reloading. Normally I would back the powder down to get 2700FPS But this load happens to work out on my custom Leopold CDS Dial for my Barnes 127 LRX load. It be nice to use the same dial for both loads. The cheaper sst for practice and the LRX for hunting.
Good for you on being cautious. Personally I pay more attention to the published velocity than the powder charge. Powder lots can vary. Rifle chambers can vary. The other thing to consider is the barrel length listed. I do believe that Hornadys data is light. Nosler lists 43 gr with their 129 gr bullet at 2865. Hornady data also shows 2700 with a 140. If it's shooting good and your happy with it I wouldn't sweat it.

2700 with a 129? H4350 is a pretty good temp stable powder. Fill that case .2 or .3 grains till you reach pressure. Then back it down and find a consistent load. 2700 is a huge handicap of the potential of the cartridge. If you need or want help I am local to you.

Last edited:
Good for you on being cautious. Personally I pay more attention to the published velocity than the powder charge. Powder lots can vary. Rifle chambers can vary. The other thing to consider is the barrel length listed. I do believe that Hornadys data is light. Nosler lists 43 gr with their 129 gr bullet at 2865. Hornady data also shows 2700 with a 140. If it's shooting good and your happy with it I wouldn't sweat it.
thanks that's just the info i was looking for.