120 gr Ballistic tips

stonepony

I am thinking of loading some 120 gr ballistic tips for my 7mm08 for deer hunting. Is this load to light to ethically kill deer at 400-500 yards or is it basically a 200 yard or less round? They shoot extremely well in my gun and wanted to try them out on deer. I was also wondering the same question about the TSX? Any help is appreciated!

stonepony,
You may be able to pull up other post under the search function as I have seen this particular subject (120gn NBT) before.
IIRC someone did a cross section of the 120 and 140 gn and the jacket walls were the same thickness. I tried them in the 7mmRM years ago for targets at 500yds. I was comparing them to the 150gn NBT's, and while they were just as accurate, definately faster and grouped just as well, they were more affected by the wind. I went with the 150gn for that very reason.
I had a cousin in N.C. who swore by them in his 700 BDL in 7mmRM. As far as I know he's still using them. JohnnyK.

They should expand enough that it should be fine. You could shoot them into a milk jug to find out.

The BC is sort of low though. :(

I am thinking of loading some 120 gr ballistic tips for my 7mm08 for deer hunting. Is this load to light to ethically kill deer at 400-500 yards or is it basically a 200 yard or less round? They shoot extremely well in my gun and wanted to try them out on deer. I was also wondering the same question about the TSX? Any help is appreciated!

They are one of the best bullets you can shoot in the 7/08 for all around performance.

I have posted on the 7/08 using the 120s many times and as Jonnyk said do a search for this
and you should find a wealth of information.

But to answer your questions -- they are not to light at 400 or 500yrds as long as you
start them at 3000ft/sec MV or more.

My two best loads are H 414 @ 3010 and Varget @3115 ft/sec.

My longest shot with a 7/08 pistol was 517yrds and hit just behind the sholder and he
dropped in his tracts.

Also I have killed many deer and hogs beyond 400yrds with my 7/08 rifle and have lost none
of them.

I did the jacket test and found that the 120gr BT jacket was thicker than the 140grBT just
like some of the members said.

Don't worry about the bullet performance ,You will be amazed how well they do.

J E CUSTOM

When I was handgun hunting alot, I used the 120 gr Ballistic Tip in my 7mm BR XP-100 with 15" barrel. I would have to look up in my notes for the exact load but I remember I was getting 2550 fps with 1/2 moa accuracy.

I used that combo to take several mule deer and whitetail deer does out to 350 yards and it worked very well with all being one shot kills. Only a couple bullets were recovered and they were the longer range shots. The bullets expanded well at the relatively low velocity so at the levels you will be able to drive them to, you will see good expansion.

Its not a question of if they will cleanly kill a deer at 400-500 yards out of a 7-08. They most certainly will with any hit to the vitals.

In my mind, the more important question is how difficult will it be to hit your mark at 500 yards with these bullets. In good conditions, no problem at all if your rifle shoots the bullets well. If the winds are variable or unknown, it will make things a bit challanging. Understand these bullets have some limitations in ballistic performance, they should serve you well.

In my opinion, in a rifle, in this chambering, I would likely go with a 140 gr VLD or 142 gr SMK or 140 gr A-Max simply for the better ballistic performance but thats really the only reason.

I know it's old, but I simply HAVE to chime in on this thread, after seeing it. The reason being is that (how do I say this without it not sounding right?), I like to "go around" thinking that it is ME, who is the undisputed #1 fan of these rounds, in this weight and caliber. But let's see if THAT statement opens up any "disputes".

Anyways, it is my belief (and experience) that the faster you launch 'em, the better they work. I used to send them out at 35 to 36 hundred fps with the rem mag barrel. But now with ultra mag power behind them, the fps #'s are near 4K. There is really no question as to whether or not they will take big game down cleanly. But it all depends on how you define "cleanly". If bone is struck on the way in, things might not be looking very clean, once you get into the butchering stage. But even when that happens, they still "drop" just as cleanly, when the shot is taken.

As far as range is concerned, they should be good for up to 4 digits, when driven at that kind of velocity. At lower velocities, wind drift would be more of an issue, of course.

You'll be a lot happier if you move up to the 140gr BT's if that's your bullet of choice. Any rifle with enough spin to stabilize the 120's will certainly stabilize the 140's and you will have a much higher BC and SD in the 140's.

I shot them in my 7mm Rem Magand 7mm STW for a long, long time but after some bullet failures (complete break up and no exit) I moved up to the 139gr interlock and interbond and finally the 154gr interbond where I really found the best accuracy/velocity combination with both rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.