115g VLD/milk jug test

remingtonman_25_06

I had 8 milk jugs filled with water and I was interested in seeing how these little 115 VLD's would do in expansion/penetration at 100 yards on them after all of royinidaho's praise about them.. I lined up 6 as I thought that would be more then enough. At the shot, the first 2 jugs exploded and landed 10 yards away, the 3rd jug had a exit hole in it, then it went out the top. No bullet to be found.

I thought Ok, I still have 5 jugs so I tried it again, this time aiming a little lower. I shot a little to low and right and the same thing happened. The first 2 exploded, and the 3rd had a exit, but the bullet went out the side. Once again no bullet to be found. I was ****ed, lol!!!

I did find a few pieces of jacket material in the 3rd jugs, but that was it.

They seem to expand really REALLY well and I bet they'll easily make it into a deers chest with a shoulder hit. I might try these next year for deer. I'll see how they do on coyotes first this year as I think I'll be using them based on accuracy at 400 yards so far. 1" at 400 aint to shabby.

I was however very unpleased with the 7mm 180g VLD out of my 7 mag that I was shooting last year. They literally penciled through the milk jugs and acted like FMJ's. Absolutely no pop what soever to the jugs and you could barely tell they were hit. The 168's on the other hand I shot the previous year were very explosive, just like I experienced with the .257 115's today. Dont know why the 180's were penciling through, there starting at 2825fps, and the 168g VLD's were started at 2950, so only 125fps difference and 12g bullet difference, but the terminal performance was night and day.

Sorry no pics, there was really nothign to see except ripped up jugs from the 115's. They acted like a varmint bullet IMO. Should work great for yotes though!!

Thank you for an interesting report. I was about to become a believer in the Bergers on game. But just like the SMK they are seemingly unpredictable. You have to worry about too much expansion or too little expansion. Just points out to me that we still don't have high bc bullets that are dependable on game. I wish Nosler would put out a line of heavy for caliber Accubonds that are more aggressive on bc. I would think they could do that while retaining the current levels of reliable expansion and good accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts