110 gr gsc elk bullet

At some point the shooting skill becomes a factor..doesn't it? Caliber,bullet weight and all the interesting variables are fun to debate but not terminal on game.In my experience the combination of these that allows you to shoot your very best,is the most effective.It can be different for everybody.The California Grizzly was killed with a single,slow moving ball and finished with sharper slower moving tool(an axe) in many cases.The math doesn't work though.

At some point the shooting skill becomes a factor..doesn't it? Caliber,bullet weight and all the interesting variables are fun to debate but not terminal on game.In my experience the combination of these that allows you to shoot your very best,is the most effective.It can be different for everybody.The California Grizzly was killed with a single,slow moving ball and finished with sharper slower moving tool(an axe) in many cases.The math doesn't work though.

You left out the massive pair of "stones" required to walk up to a wounded grizzly bear with an axe :)

Being and bigngreen, IMO pedantic to a fault but the formulae is cool.

Physics is physics, denigrating mono metal because it can not achieve the same SD as jacketed is not valid.

Terminal ballistics of monos vs. jacketed is of course different. Monos will have nearly 100 percent retention through the wound, jacketed could loose 50 percent or even separate the jacket from the core. All that lead is in the tissues somewhere, yum, NOT.

Heavy for caliber comparing a specific mono to a specific jacketed is not valid. Heavy for caliber comparing two monos or two jacketed is very valid.

Again, pls don't misunderstand my post. I don't want to denigrate (nice word btw) monos in any way. Actually I really like the idea of turning bullets on a lathe.
For my mid- to short range hunting they are pretty much perfect.

Bullets with low sectional densities going fast do have some natural problems though, when it comes to penetration. Using a bullet with greater sectional density (that keeps this advantage by retaining weight) is preferable if deep penetration is necessary. What the heavier bullet is made of, doesn't really matter.

OK. Yes, SD rules inflight ballistics. Materials, construction, impact angle, fur/hair/skin and tissue/bone impacted rules terminal performance.

If the long range hunter has to or wants to use mono metal he may need to go up in caliber.

According to my shooter, 130 grain TTSX .277 were maxed at 565 yards, the models agree with that. The 180 TTSX .308 was fine to +1000. Nice thing to think about for monos is the trajectory decay beyond range is rapid.

I've only been to ~300 on game. Elk hunt is booked, it will be copper, it won't be long range.

A question for 'elkcoast', have you shot a elk with those 165 Matrix?
No sorry, I haven't used he 165 matrix, sounds like it's worth the try, but perhaps they don't make them for the 8mm mag. which is what I use. I've used Sierra 220 boat tail mostly with enough success that I just keep using them.

I still kind of want to do some 130 grain Nosler BST's with Winchester nickel plated cases just because they look good. hahahahahha

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts