110 gr .25 Accubonds??

I got some GG, but I have been focusing on the 115 Berger VLD's. I am gonna shoot this weekend, I will try some of the Accubonds if I get a chance. Any load you could recommend???

Thanks
Steve

I have only shot about ten of them so far. More or less just to see how they shot with an existing load. I simply dropped the 115gr PT and substituted the 110gr AB. It didn't do bad but has room for improvement. Here is a pic of my first four shots at 100 yds. from a totally clean barrel. They came in nicely but the velocity wasn't up there as I had hoped it would be.
427461787hkTmfF_ph.jpg

I am looking forward to giving them a run with a little quicker powder. But that is part of the fun.

Well, I am using reworked 30-06 Norma brass and have tried every charge of RL22 from 49 to 57.5 in half grain increments and IMR4831 from 46 to 54.5 in half grain increments with Fed210gm's and the Accubonds seated as far out as they can be and have yet to even get a 1 inch group at 100 yards. All brass has been given the whole match prep treatment and yada yada yada. The gun is starting to irritate me. I believe that since all the groups are roughly the same size, and I have had 5 loads with sd's in the single digits, these odd weight bullets might just stink. They maybe should have stuck to the 100 grain or 117 or 115 weights normally used.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten them to shoot as accurately as the ballistic tips or Sierras?

I know a stiff load of RL22 and B-tips is like chocolate syrup on vanilla ice cream with this gun, but my customer wants to shoot AB's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GG the 25 cal Accubonds have not been impressive at all.
Johnnyk's sendero is getting them just under 1 moa at 100 yards and thats terrible for that rifle which is normally half and under half moa for every bullet he has put through it! I think they dropped the ball on the 25 cal unAccubonds somewhere!

GG, I am not sure that this will help you with that rifle or not. However I will throw it out there anyway. When I was working up the initial loads for this rifle years ago, I was having no luck getting decent groups with Noslers. I was seating them out close to the lands. I tried all of the "best" recommended powders and such, but nothing. So on a whim, I started to seat deeper. I got somewhat away from the lands and the groups shrank into a nice ragged hole. With the BT, seated to 3.250 OAL, I can drill a nice ragged hole out at 200 yds with no problems. So, I tried several other bullets without changing the seating depth on the die and they all shot right there also. not so much in the same area, as some did hit elsewhere than POA, but they would still grouped great none the less. So basically I have never changed my die except for the 100gr Sierra's, which I have to seat to, 3.150 for whatever reason.

Just a thought but it might make the difference your looking for. Sometimes they might just like a jump start. The ones I shot above were using 56.5gr of RL-22,Win cases, and Win-WLR primers, seated to 3.250 OAL. The velocity however was only 3050, and I feel I can improve on that some, since I am getting 3150 with the 115 PT's. The rifle is a Rem. BDL, wearing a Fajen laminate stock. Nothing else has been done to it. The last two shots there together, are pretty much the norm for this rig out at 200yds with the 100gr BT's and 115 PT's also. I know this is uncommon for a factory rifle but I ain't complaining.

Hope this helps, I know how frusterating it can be. I will be giving them a decent run over LD weekend and will report back after trying a different powder or two.

I haven't been impressed with the AB's so far. I have shot them in my .25-06 Sendero using numerous components and to date the best combo (accuracy/velocity) was 54.5gr RL22 using Rem 9.5M. OAL (ogive to base) was 2.7930". Velocity average (3-shots) was 3271fps and accuracy was .669". This isn't too bad but this rifle normally shoots 100gr NBT's and Barnes TSX's into one ragged hole at over 3300fps.
The above listed AccuBond load is consistent in my rifle and I saw no pressure signs. I shot the same load about 3 days later and the velocity average was again 3271fps and accuracy was .6965"! Unbelievable. When I went up .5gr to 55.0 accuracy went out to 1.0705" and velocity went up to 3302 fps. I probably won't shoot anymore AB's in my rifles. Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

Thanks guys.
It sounds like you all have had the same experience with these "unAccubonds".

I have a 300 win mag that loves to jump about .150" into the riflings and that is where it shoots best with 180 grain accubonds, but this 25-06 is also jumping along ways (because of the super short Browning magazine) and it still won't do the accuracy I need.

I think it is time to tell the customer that 100 grain b-tips are the way to go.

Goodgrouper, & everyone here
I appreciate the info. I have not seen much from other sites
either that impress me concerning these bullets. I have only
seen one post on the Nosler site, in this case a .257 Wea.
where the shooter was getting good accuracy & velocity. It
appears that high velocity is hard to obtain with this bullet too & I don't know if it is because of bearing surface, hardness, or other reasons, but if I use a bullet
this light, I would want high vel. to make up for a lower BC
at least to 500 yards. But I have some 125 Gr. Wildcat Bullets coming for my 25-06 AI, and I think that bullet will
take care of my 25 Cal. needs.

Well, I picked up one box of the 110's to give them a try. I doubt seriously that over the next several years, I will run out of the 115's I bought a couple of years back. Probably by the time I do, there will be something new out that will be better than cream gravy on a chicken fried steak.

Till then, I am just fooling around with them. If they do group I will note what I used for another day. If not, well I can say I tried them anyway.

Besides, it wouldn't be any fun at all if this was the only rig I had to play with. This one is just the most fought over around here between me and my daughter. LOL

Last year, after a deer hunt, I was very disappointed with the performance of the 115gn Bal tip (257STW @3600), although acccuracy was great, the bullet did not perform well. I was excited to try the 110 Accubonds and so far have ahd great luck. 3500fps with 76.2gn Ramshot Magnum. Here is a group, result of ladder test: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/257speed/5a16442c.jpg

I am excited to see if this bullet works better, being a bonded type.

Hey now wait just a minute. These bullets shoot great out of my 25-06. I did not have any trouble whatsoever. My 25 is a Win model 70 but shoots most bullets inside an inch. My load is 51g of H-4831, CCI BR-2, 3.250", w-w brass. The average is 3080fps but the accuracy is .4" average at 100 yards. At 300 yards it has put 2 shots 1/2" with a flyer 2 inches. I wonder how come most everybody else is getting sub performance?? I have notice my 25 loves CCI BR primers against anything. I tried a test of just switching the primers and half my loads are double in size at 100 yards using the fed 210, but when I switch to CCI BR, groups go down to 3/4". My 25 also is in love with H-4831 also. It has shot every bullet weight and style into at least 3/4" with that powder. I hope my post keeps you experimenting. I know theres a good load in there. My wet newspaper testing showed promise for the 110g bullet. It penetrated quite far and peeled back perfectly. I cant wait to use it on my upcoming deer hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.