10FP/Mcmillan Platform Rifle?

Nomosendero

I am wanting to set-up one Savage as a platform to use a few barrels. I am looking at a 10FP-McMillan in 308 as the base rifle & then buying as I go a 6mmbr, 260 & maybe a fast twist 22-250AI. I can get a good deal on this rifle.

Would the Mcmillan be the way to go?
Does it have pillars & would I need to have it bedded? I have a few of the HS Pre. stocks on Remingtons, but I have never owned a McMillan.

Thanks!!

This rifle is capable of some scary small groups, I shot one at the range a few weeks ago, the guy just had a simple leupold 10x on it, and I managed to get a
.214 inch 5 shot group with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif As to the barrel switching, once you have the tools and the know-how, a switch can be accomplished in less than 20 mins. If I'm not mistaken, the 6mm BR, .260, .22-250, and .308 all have the same size case head.(I know the other beside the BR do....) The only problem with getting a short action is that you can't really rebarrel to a L/A caliber. You could, but you wouldn't be able to eject a loaded round... Other than that, sounds like you've got a sweet package!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.