1000 Yard Gun - .260 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

CTF, I'm supposed to head for my favorite Italian sounding sporting goods box store in a few minutes and help my nephew pick up his CM as well. Should be fun.

Seriously though, I thought you guys only got 4 hrs of daylight up there this time of year?

CM

We have very long twilight periods an houreach side of sun up and sun down. . The sun is pretty much gone in Prudhoe Bay and all along the Bofort Sea coast. ( Beaufort) . They should get a glance at the sun again on Jan 18 th.

What brand and model is he getting? Will it be just for target or hunting.

Good deal. Thats what I wanted but my dealer here couldn't find one so he ordered me the 26" barrel stainless one. I think I'll put a Stocky's thumbhole laminate on it. With a bipod also that should bring the weight up to where it should be for hunting fur.

CTF, post some pics of that fur when you get em. Down here, we go after Cyotes. Minnesota and Wisconsin opened a season on Wolves this year to see if they could tame down the deer killing these critters produce. Good Luck.

CB

CTF, Hunting with all that bulk has to be a challenge. It's interesting for us lower 48 er's to hear what's needed up there. I have ridden snowmobile and thrown hay bales at 50 bellow, but only for a day or two before the cold snap lifted. That was usually followed by snow, snow plowing and the deep freeze again. We no longer have those winters in Minn. For hunting in that stuff, it's either a Bolt action or Lever, maybe a pump. I wonder how the plastic clip for my Thompson Venture would hold up at -30?

jlamb, What would a stock like that cost for my Savage Model 11?:rolleyes:

HS Precision does not the thumbhole stocks for Savage but do make a varminter model. Check out -

www.midwayusa.com

or

Results for H-S PRECISION:pro-Series Varmint

Stocks run

JLamb; I see you shoot the 6.5/06 . What velocity do you get with 140s and what bullet weight do you prefer in that round? ?

CTF, I love the 142 SMK's for my tactical setup. For my sporter I will only use the 140gr Accubonds. My rifle loves 'em. I'm getting 3050fps from both using H4831SC and under .5 MOA. I'm loading above an "data" that I've found but it's a wildcat...

Wow, that's moving along real fast. I don't know how many rounds the 6.5/284 holds in the standard magizine. But the 06 based rounds hold 1 more than the standard belted rounds which can be an advantage in a hunting round.

I just got my 6.5 Creedmoor today. It has the 26" barrel. I was able to Chronograph 1 round before the chrony froze up. It's -40 where the chrony was set up. Anyway a low mid book load of 37 gr of Varget , CCI200 primer , 120 gr Seirra Pro Hunter yeilded. 2785 fps 18' from the muzzle .. I don't have it sighted in yet. So I don't have accuracy data yet. . I hope it's accurate. I put a 4-12 Nikon Pro Staff on it that I had.

Cold Trigger Finger, hot dog man, it sounds like your in business and getting serious. Your Chronny did good at that temp, and at 18' the mv is pretty good for a starting load. I had a pro-staff on my slug gun. Absoultely beautiful scope, but the recoil of the beast killed it. On the CM it should be great. How cold is it getting when the sun goes down? I'm making the assumption that your shooting at mid day.
I passed up a used Ruger M77 Mark II in 260 Rem last for $400. Lot's of cooper fouling at the muzzle. Makes me wonder if the previous owner shot it till they wobbled all over the place and got tired of it. Very pretty gun with a VX2 3-9, may go back today and snatch it up and hope it shoots straight. To make matters worst, it fit me perfectly. I think I'' have to pass on it.:cool: Two rifles in the closet is more than I can shoot at once as it is. To add a third? And,(never start a sentence with a conjunction) if it turned out to be a supressive fire weapon, I'd not be very happy, nor would I feel good selling it to someone else in that condition. The wood and bluing were perfect:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stay warm up there.

Crusty Buck

It's been 50 below or colder most mornings this past week. At my house it gets up to -35 at the warmest. It clouded up and now is -33 . I'm going to sight it in on my way to work this morning. And chrony some more loads. Once I get everything setup on the gun I'm planning some cold weather Chronographing . Leave the rifle and loads outside to get cold then put up the chrony at 25 yards. See how it does. Any closer and it can produce errors on the screen from unburnt powder.

Cold Trigger Finger, How much vm do you think you lose at 25 yards? I was thinking that's a little excessive, but at -32 there is probably a lot of unburned powder. My chronograph refuses to give me accurate data around zero degrees, and I only get data for about a minnute. I load the rifle, set up the Chronograph and pull the trigger from 4 to 5 yards away. during the spring, summer, and fall I set it up in line with my 100 yard target and take all the time I need. Speaking of summer, I wonder how much the velocity changes with Varget powder from summer to -30? They advertise it stays pretty stable over a wide variety of temperatures. Working up loads for this weekends shoot, it was 29 degrees and snowing. I loaded my 308 with 44.0 Varget and got and average of 2730 fps from approximately 4 yards away. Fired 4 rounds with a Standard Deviation of 11. The gun is a Savage model 10 FCP-K with a 24 inch barrel. Fired the remaining 11 rds in volleys of 4, 4, and 3 at inch dots at 100 yds. Because it was wet, and I thought I needed to be in a rush, I didn't shoot as good as the gun is capable. Even at that though, my widest group was an inch and the smallest was aprroximatelu .75. Last week with 44.5 gr. of AA2520, it pounded em darn near theough the same hole, maybe .45. I would have been pleased to stay there, but the temp changes alot this time of year here in MN and I want to see what the Varget will do. The RL 15 is all over the map with the temp changes. Anyhow, currious to hear how the little monster does at -32 and below.

Crusty Buck

I'm thinking about putting an electric heater in a box and setting the chrony above it . Just have the rods sticking out the top. So far the load is 39 gr of Varget with standard large rifle primers. Getting 3020 with the 110 grain bullets, but they are moly tumbled. 2875 fps w//120 gr TTSX UN coated. No high pressure signs. But the ammo was at room temp. I'll try to do a better test this week.

O.k. So now that I have a rifle that is capable of long range shooting. I have been invited to a 1k yard competition. In June at Delta Junction Ak.
I don't know much about it but aparantly it is prone with no rests or bipods allowed. Now I have a ton of questions as I have no idea what I need for stocks, scope, sling , ect.ect.
Its a 60 shot course. I don't know if all the targets are at 1000 yards.

As I will be shooting a factory rifle and it's not a bull barrel I've been thinking moly coated bullets will help to keep the heat down and hopefully the shifting poi.

I figure I need an adjustable objective scope that is crisp but as I will be holding the rifle I don't think too high a power will help.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.