1000 Yard Gun - .260 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

The 260 is a fine cartridge and with good brass is capable of exceptional accuracy. I have seen several people consistently win 1000 yard F-class with it at sea level.

As far as killing animals, there was a lady who made a one shot kill on a very large elk at 800 yards or so. It is document on this forum

I have both 260 and 6.5 creedmoor. I love em both. Both work well. They will get to 1000 yards with the right person. I have a 7mm rsaum that is being built now. I like my 6.5's though. The recoil is very mild on a 10 to 11 lb rifle.

there's another round that might interest you. the 6.5 wby magnum at mcwhorter custom rifles. it has over a 1000 ft/lbs still left at a 1000 yards

I have never shot a 260 or 6.5 CM, but compete against guys who use those cartriges in 500 yard shoots. I shoot 308 Win and 300 Win Mag. against these smaller cartriges and usually get my lunch handed to me. Less recoil from the bench does have it's advantage. If however, we were taking Elk at 500 yards, I'd take the 30's. The S.D.'s of the 6.5 offerings are impressive, but foot pounds make a difference as well. I do like the ballistics of the 6.5-284. Just thoughts.

Savage choice, I haven't looked but do they have a 6.5x284?

I bought a new 2007 model 116 BGH in 30-06 without the barrel. There is a dealer that sells them that way, fairly cheap too, I could look it up if you were interested. Savages are easy to rebarrel, then just buy a good 6.5 barrel and have it reamed for 6.5x284.

The model I bought didn't have the accustock but did have the accutrigger. I liked the model buy didn't like the accutrigger as it didn't work for me in hunting mode, I couldn't trust it as the trigger locks when you slamm the bolt hard. It's a safety feature but a disaster for a quick follow up shot as you then have to toggle the bolt up and down to re-set the trigger. So I bought an SSS trigger which is a normal trigger, but you have to buy a savage model that doesn't have the accustock or trigger options are basically just the accutrigger. I also replaced the cheap floorplate with savages DBM which is quality is my opinion. Savage sells them direct, in fact I have a second one that they shipped me twice. The first time I shipped it back to them at my cost. The second time I kept it. I may sell it for less than savage sells it sometime as I don't need 2.

Food for thought.

I think the 6.5x284 is the champ of 6.5 class.

The post is over a year old, FYI savage has 5 models available in 6.5x284, and if you turn the accutrigger all the way down and then turn it back a 1/4 turn it won't try to slam fire when you close the bolt. And there are several triggers available, all superior to an SSS trigger.

I did shopping on line, as well as in my favorite well known hunting box store. They did have a Savage 6.5-284 long range hunter heavy barrel in stainless. There was still snow on the ground and the dog wouldn't give up his house for me so I passed it up. Everyone you read says the round is a barrel burner, they may be right. When I down load my 300 win mag it doesn't burn as much powder, kick as hard, but still delivers the goods with inhanced accuracy. I am assuming that the same could be done with the 6.5-284. When I have pushed my 308 Win or 223 Rem, they take the beating, but the accuracy goes to pieces, at least as far as long range competion shooting goes. I do favor that round over the CM and 260 for that purpose. The 6.5 Swede may very well be the balance I'm looking for. Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking for a donor rifle to add a custom barrel and stock to. Hard as hen's teeth to find.

Appreciated,

Crusty Buck

I've read the 6.5x55 AI is pretty sweet. You may check that out too. There's a guy on the benchrest circuit that has some success in the 1000 yard competition. Check out 6mmbr or the 1000 yard benchrest site. I forget the exact name but it's on the list. The way those guys push loads and practice going through barrel seems like the norm.

I read one guy shooting the 7-300WSM went through 15 barrels one year.

The 6.5x284 has been noted as a barrel burner because it is when used in 1k matches with long quick burst up to 20 rounds at a time, in a very short period. As an F-class or hunting rig they can last beyond 2k rounds because they aren't destroyed by heat. Even running a 140grn vld at 3k fps from a good barrel (bartlien, benchmark, lilja, brux, etc) they can survive that long in f-class and are superior, one of the most accurate 1000yrd chamberings period.

backwoods83,

Thanks for the information. The round is looking better to me all the time. Like I stated earlier, I like the idea of being able to backer er off a bit and still have plenty of punch for the job. Yup, I'm a big block type of guy. I may have to pay a visit to my favorite store, spend some points, and acquire that stainless beauty. Since the weather is warmer, perhaps the dog will let me share his lodging for a night or two if necessary:)

Thanks again,

Crusty Buck

I'm going with the 6.5 Creed because Ruger makes it in a factory target model rifle. I will be using it mostly for fur hunting and to begin long range shooting. I would have happier if Ruger would have just stayed with the 260 . In reality for my purposes 600 yards will probably be the longest shot I take while hunting and there will no doubt be at least 4 shots under 50 yards to every one over 300 yards. At game.

Wow, given the country you hunt in, I'm surprised you would even consider a 6.5 mm of any size. You have some big critters up there that can really mess up your day. All I want a Rem 260 for is target shooting out to a 100 yds. I caould not find the gun I wanted in 260, so i settled for a Savage FCP-K in 308. Most of my shots are 500 yds at the range, so the 308 will do the job OK, but a .260 has better BC and less recoil. The 308 in the FCP-K doesn't have a lot of recoil either, so not a problem. Stay warm up there and shoot straight.

Crusty Buck

there's another round that might interest you. the 6.5 wby magnum at mcwhorter custom rifles. it has over a 1000 ft/lbs still left at a 1000 yards

OR you can try my wildcat, the 6.5 PRO (Precision Rifled Ordnance, yep its a 6.5mm rifled cannon) those who know what "rifled ordnance" is, will be amused !!!!! 140 grain Bergers (bc .629) screaming at 3700 fps and 4250 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle, 1800 fps and 1006 ftlbs energy at 1290 yards... will be testing it on spring black bear in Alaska and moose in the fall with 140 gr Accubonds,

Wow, given the country you hunt in, I'm surprised you would even consider a 6.5 mm of any size. You have some big critters up there that can really mess up your day. All I want a Rem 260 for is target shooting out to a 100 yds. I caould not find the gun I wanted in 260, so i settled for a Savage FCP-K in 308. Most of my shots are 500 yds at the range, so the 308 will do the job OK, but a .260 has better BC and less recoil. The 308 in the FCP-K doesn't have a lot of recoil either, so not a problem. Stay warm up there and shoot straight.

Crusty Buck

My summer predator rifle is a 458 or a 416 . And considering I've encountered fresh bear tracks in every of the 52 weeks of the year in 1 part of Alaska or another I always pack a heavy loaded revolver when out in the brush.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.