1000 Yard + group size

dragman

Ok, in premium conditions when you take a rig out to just shoot or verify a load or bullet what kind of group are you looking for, for say a 3 shots??? do you shoot at paper? rocks? clay birds? gong?

just curious to what everyone else does.
gun)

Well...for me, I have to first know what the gun is capable of. If I am shootig a rifle that I know is capable of 3/4 MOA then I expect that or less. My 338 lapua is capable of .3-.4 MOA and that is what I expect from that rifle. Does that always happen...haha, unfortunately not. We all have bad shooting days.

I shoot at a 24"x24" AR500 steel plate. It is on the side of a small mountain/large hill. I can see the hits very clearly even at 1900 yards.

so for your lapua at 1900 with all conditions perfect you would exspect too see 5-6" groups as long as your having a good day.

I suppose that is around what I would like to see. sub 3" @ 1000 yards with 3 shot groups.

I look for 1/2 moa or better. Like kohril said, it doesnt happen all the time, but it should happen often enough for me to know the guns capabilities are within 1/2 moa.

I never shoot at anything I can't take away as evidence of the score.
I never shoot at rocks - ricochet risk, fire risk, etc. makes that a bad idea IMO.
Clay birds, gongs and the like don't provide enough data to be useful in analyzing a "group".
So I use paper targets. I prefer paper targets glued to corrugated plastic sign board. With a coat of clear enamal spray paint they even hold up pretty well in damp weather. I expect my 1K group to be within 10% of the recorded 100 yard capability of the rifle x ten to the first. So a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards should be 5 inches +/- .5 inches at 1K - "in premium conditions"

so for your lapua at 1900 with all conditions perfect you would exspect too see 5-6" groups as long as your having a good day.

I suppose that is around what I would like to see. sub 3" @ 1000 yards with 3 shot groups.

For 1900 yards, I have only shot that far once. So I cannot shoot that great out that far. It seems that around a mile and farther that things start opening up for me. But probably because I have not shot that far at all. I have shot the most at 1300 yards and closer. From those distances I am fairly confident that I can do .3-.4 MOA if I am doing my part. Do I get that all the time? No but I expect it.

Go to the Harry Jones memorial site and check out the scores of all their light gun, 5 shot groups. These are guys with 17 pound guns and hours of work in what they do and most of them would be thrilled with 5 inch groups! You guys that are bragging about all of your 5 inch, 1000 yard groups, I'm glad you can shoot so well and think you should be shooting competition ! All I hope for in a good gun on an average day is 1 moa or a 10 inch group at 1000. Don't get discouraged if you aren't getting that, there is a lot that goes in to loading that will get you there some day!

First off...the rifle I am using is about 3 lbs shy of 17 lbs. I didn't say that I was shooting a 7 lb pencil barreled rifle. I am also using a 300 gr bullet which helps with wind. I am also not shooting 5 shot groups. Most are only shooting three shot groups. And this is a HUNTING website, not a competition shooting website. I am really only concerned with the first shot.

Did I not say that I don't shoot that .3-.4 all the time. But I do expect to or should I not even bother to try to better my shooting skills? I love people that get on here all uppity about the competition thing. There are competition shooters that have shot 2" groups before and probably smaller? I don't follow the competition stuff but those guys are impressive.

Well I shoot a 17lbs gun. I also said 3 shot groups in premium conditions. 5 shot groups during matches are different.
I was just asking the question. I see your from pa where at??? Do you just shoot paper? Ever shoot Ridgway vbr??

I wasn't trying to step on toes, just wanted a new guy to not be discouraged by everyone else shooting quarter minute groups at 1000 yards. looking at what the professionals do is a realistic way to see real groups on paper that are truly measured and validated. I'm serious about you guys shooting competition, you shoot well enough, try it some time! Prosperity is 30 miles south of Pittsburgh.

I wasn't trying to step on toes, just wanted a new guy to not be discouraged by everyone else shooting quarter minute groups at 1000 yards. looking at what the professionals do is a realistic way to see real groups on paper that are truly measured and validated. I'm serious about you guys shooting competition, you shoot well enough, try it some time! Prosperity is 30 miles south of Pittsburgh.

I am a competitive shooter. Hunting for groundhogs is the hobby. They are two different worlds, that's why I specified the conditions and only 3 shots.

Well im strictly a hunter. Also a Ridgeway member. I never shoot for groups once
my load is established. Rocks at various distances or clay birds on the berms are
all the practice i feel i need for hunting. Varmit hunting never hurts either.
There are things involved in hunting other than being the very best shooter.
Fact is some of the best shooters ive known didnt do very well hunting. I feel hunting
take a street fighter mindset. Just get it done.

Well im strictly a hunter. Also a Ridgeway member. I never shoot for groups once
my load is established. Rocks at various distances or clay birds on the berms are
all the practice i feel i need for hunting. Varmit hunting never hurts either.
There are things involved in hunting other than being the very best shooter.
Fact is some of the best shooters ive known didnt do very well hunting. I feel hunting
take a street fighter mindset. Just get it done.

That's kind of me I am no body's hunter. I go out for deer and shoot some hogs but my passion is much more shooting based. I love the ridgway VBR cuz I think it's the best of all worlds. only game like it in the world.

Personally in the long range hunting game, I feel that how close to your point of aim you can be is more important than the group size you can print.

This isn't long range BR. A group size will tell you how accurate your equipment is, but says very little about your ability to read the conditions and adjust accordingly.

I shot my best 1000yrd group just a few weeks ago, but never even measured it. What got me more exited was the fact that it was within a few inches of the spot on the gong.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.