1000 yard club, this was supposed to be an easy one?????

7mmRHB,

I personally want to set up at 1 mile for a qualifying 1500 yard club shot. We will see if I can find a place to make that happen or not.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
SNIP

The shift in impact had me a bit baffled but I had only zeroed the rifle quickly at 100 yards so I may have been off a bit on the horizontal adjustment. Another good tip, zero at long range, reduces potential vertical and horizontal error in your zero!!!

SNIP

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you use a "long range zero" and base your drop chart off of that? OR use your standard drop chart ( 100 yard zero ) and adjust the scope to be the calculated come ups at the distance that you are shooting for zero?

EXAMPLE: If you are zeroing @1k and your come ups from a 100 zero are 34 moa, I am assuming that you reset the scope to read 34 moa, and NOT zero moa??

edge.

Edge,

TO be honest, when I fine tune my rifles I generally do not dial up at all once they are set where I want them. That greatly depends on the rifle and the purpose of that rifle. For this rifle, when I finally get things tuned where I want them I will zero the fourth mil reference point up from the main crosshair for a 1000 yard impact.

Then I will leave the scope adjustments where they are and develope a drop chart using several test reference points from there out. I will compare the actual impacts at actual ranges of several different test groups and then develope a drop chart off those numbers.

I will then revarify with actual range testing of that drop chart model and make any minor adjustments needed to tweak the drop chart to match the trajectory of the bullets.

Once that is finished I will have reference points that will work from 1000 yards out to around 1950 yards without ever touching an adjustment turret on the scope.

For +2000 yard shooting I will dial in the adjustments.

It is ALWAYS better to zero at long range, even if you find there is some error on your shot placement at closer range. I have found with many rifles that when a rifle is zeroed at 1000 yards and then checked at say 300 yards, often the groups will be slightly off impact from where they should be, generally this is horizontal.

it is generally not much at all and it has never been enough to really worry about.

BUT, if you go the other direction and zero at say 300 yards, the variation that is off at 1000 yards will be siginificant which is the problem I ran into. Just a lack of preperation time is all it comes down to. The rifles need to be ready before they go to the field. Had the rifle been zeroed at long range, I suspect there would have been very few rounds fired down range.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Congrats on your hit.

Also, that is my experience with LR zeros. Maybe it has to do with light/parallax. Short range zero is sometimes off but longer distances all seem to track properly for windage.

Good luck with your 1500yd hit.

No chucks here so will be plinking at rocks...

Jerry

That is the first pic I have seen of you with that hog leg rifle that really shows its massive size, that sucker is HUGE!!!!!!!! I cant wait to see ours!!

Nice shootin' again Fifty, I am almost gettin tired of saying that,

Almost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve

[ QUOTE ]
It is ALWAYS better to zero at long range,

[/ QUOTE ]
Good info, that was my thinking. Great story and It's nice to know you are human. Take some ice with you next time it's hot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby,

Congratulations on your 1k kill. Good luck on the 1.5k and 2.5k, just a mater of time.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.