1000 dollar question! help

gilmillan1

Hello guys,

I am at the point where I am ready to spend money in a high quality scope. I currently own three zeiss conquest scopes, and I like them all. I particularly like the new HD5 model. It has really nice glass. I have a 243 win and a 270 caliber rifle. I want to get a top of the line scope because my next step is to buy a custom true long range hunting rifle, but before I get there I want a new scope.

I currently have $2500 that I got from a pellet gun that I sold, and I am willing to spend this money on a scope.

Now the dilemma I have is that I have not decided which scope to get. I know for sure is between a nightforce and a schmit and bender.

I have been thinking about getting a 5-22 NXS, which is a around 1750, the ATACR which is around 2300, the big daddy Schmit & Bender 5-25 police model, or the new nightforce beast. The last two models are around 3400.

So the question is, do I really want to spend an extra 1000 to jump into the premium scopes or a nightforce nxs or atacr will suffice?

what would you guys do? As for the extra 1000, I can spend it. Money is really not a big deal, but at the same time, I could use that extra 1000 on the custom rifle I want.

What really makes more sense?

I plan on shooting paper and I am a big hunter. I usually hunt deer size game only.

thank you guys

Hello guys,

I am at the point where I am ready to spend money in a high quality scope. I currently own three zeiss conquest scopes, and I like them all. I particularly like the new HD5 model. It has really nice glass. I have a 243 win and a 270 caliber rifle. I want to get a top of the line scope because my next step is to buy a custom true long range hunting rifle, but before I get there I want a new scope.

I currently have $2500 that I got from a pellet gun that I sold, and I am willing to spend this money on a scope.

Now the dilemma I have is that I have not decided which scope to get. I know for sure is between a nightforce and a schmit and bender.

I have been thinking about getting a 5-22 NXS, which is a around 1750, the ATACR which is around 2300, the big daddy Schmit & Bender 5-25 police model, or the new nightforce beast. The last two models are around 3400.

So the question is, do I really want to spend an extra 1000 to jump into the premium scopes or a nightforce nxs or atacr will suffice?

what would you guys do? As for the extra 1000, I can spend it. Money is really not a big deal, but at the same time, I could use that extra 1000 on the custom rifle I want.

What really makes more sense?

I plan on shooting paper and I am a big hunter. I usually hunt deer size game only.

thank you guys

If you like your Conquest scopes so well.....and I do also....why not take a step UP and get a Victory Diavari T* FL model..?

Only think holding me back is I dont have an empty rifle around and I always choke at the price tag....but Im still debating it.

I dont go for the Zeiss because I want a scope that will give me everything I am looking for. I know zeiss can provide excellent glass, but I am looking for tracking, ruggedness, glass, and a good reticle. I feel that Zeiss will not be able to offer everything I want in one package. I will keep my HD5 because that is a wonderful scope for my 270, but not for a true long range rifle.

for a true long range rifle.

With this info I say go for the ATACR in either MOA or Mils. My personal choice would be the MOA as that is what I prefer to use. I think you would be plenty satisfied with the MOAR reticle in it as well.

Plus you will have a little left over from your sale of the rifle and you won't have to add $1000 to it.

Jeff

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say the zeiss does have what you need for long range. The HD 5's are very rugged, excellent glass, excellent tracking, we have used zeiss scopes with alot of success at long range. I have set up probably 20 of them for long range. The tracking is probably the best I have seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.