100 grain interlock in 243 on whitetail

midwestmoa

My question being took an 8 point just within 200 hundred yards average size 160 pounder bullet was a broadside shot through both shoulders problem was it didnt open up it looked like a fmj slipped through it deer ran like a half mile amazed I found it the next day anybody had less than satisfactory results with this bullet.

seen it happen more times than I like, mostly with factory rounds, don't know what the deals is with them, some folks swear by the 243 for a deer round, I don't have a lot of use for them. Ive seen factory bullets pencil thru just like yours and Ive seen them blow up on contact, out of the same box of factory rounds (Remington core locks) If iwas was tied to that round I wouldn't use anything but a partition type bullet..

These were reloads regardles the reason I switched is because I had the armchair deer camp talk say that it was unethical to use amax bullets even though the deer always dropped rite there no running switched to this because thats what I should use because if the deer was qaurtering I would wound that deer and I had just been lucky up to that point well then I guesse I knew alot of people that were lucky using thin jacket bullets and yes I had the amaxs multiple times go thru shoulder bone in a shrapnel mass devastating the lungs and heart at close range and the amax did good long range to. Im sure there a better in between bullet but man do I like how they buckle with the amax I was using made easy work. Also I had a similar experience of a fmj wound on another buck with a nosler partition but I cut the chase and headshot it after tracking that one 1/4 mile. So im liking the idea of switching back to the unethical bullet.

If the Amax was working for you, I would see no reason at all, except to change except back to it gun)

Last edited:
The 85 grain Sierra HPBT is devastating on deer in a 6mm or 243. It goes through and always opens. I even saw this bullet kill 4 bears all with one shot. The one was over 300 pounds and shot at 500 yards with a 6mm. Matt

I have killed a train car load of deer with the old school 100 gr Remington sp and Sierra Game King. I liked the Sierra best. Never had any problems with either. Most of the time it was BANG FLOP.

Get you some Sierra 85's whether the Gameking HP or my favorite the 85 SP Varminter. Both will kill deer DRT and exit contrary to what most people will tell you. I have shot them both from 243 Win and my 6mm Remmy. I have used the 100 grain bullets in the 24 calibers and while they do work I seem to get faster kills from the 85's.
If you want to shoot 100 grain pills try the Sierra Gameking, although I have killed several deer with the Hornady 100 BTSP with no issues the Sierra is a bit softer giving ore immediate expansion.
Another bullet I have had good luck with is the Sierra Blitz Varminter 80 grain bullet in 243. Shoot them in the lungs and its instant lights out, really works good. Most of the deer shot with these combinations run 100-200#, nothing huge just average animals in the areas I hunt.

I use the 95grain hornady SST and have had very good results with bullet performance. that being said I think it is a little for Deer. The 243 bullets don't leave a large wound channel even when the bullet opens up as designed. I prefer the 260 rem over the 243 for that reason

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts