10/22 tips?

Screech,

All the bolt actions I could afford have the crank on the wrong side for a southpaw. I can set up the 10/22T to work real well for a lefty. Still have a bit of playing around to be sure, but the one I got seems pretty accurate. Considering that my last .22 was a Springfield Stevens I inherited from my father, and first shot in 1955, maybe I have the wrong idea of accuracy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jerry ,

Be sure and come back with the info on " whats not right "

My youngest son ( 22 ) has a 10/22 that he has been modifying steadily ( this is your former Wyoming hunting partner BB ) for a number of years now . He has yet to replace the trigger , bu t the one that came with it was pounds better than most and the hundreds , no ., make that thousands, of rounds he has put through the rifle have served to refine the trigger .

On a good day at 25 yds I have seen him put 10 rounds in a hole that appears to me to be about .250 in size , havent miked them just looks that way and I have miked a few quarter inch groups . Course he also shot a hole in the coping around my swimming pool but thats another story ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Let us know of you're progress .

Jim B

thats funny Jerry B.

Not the south paw part but the stevens not shooting good. I have one that was given to me from my dads hunting buddy that was made in 1927, I think it has one of the first scopes ever made on it. It says its 2x but things actually shrink when you you look through the scope. It was my first rifle making it so it has accounted for thousands of rounds along with thousands of little critters killed with it. tweets, bunny's, grouse, squirles and countless other little critters and it is still shooting strong and acurate. Got the marlin because I could put a better scope on it for the other one has a screwed up scope mounting process. They shoot about the same with a little accuracy jump to the marlin because I can actually see the target. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Jerry ,

Be sure and come back with the info on " whats not right "

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I knew what it was, but it's gone now. Came home, dismounted the scope, rings, and base, found nothing wrong, stuck it back together, went back to the range, and it shot fine. :shrug:

Screech,
The only problem with my Stevens is that it's got iron sights, and you know how fuzzy those iron sights become when they get older.

I'm a lefty and ran into the same problem. I got a heavy barrel savage in 17 hmr but I think they make it in 22lr. It's not pretty, the trigger sucks (haven't fixed that yet) but it shoots its *** off.

Well, Mr. UPS dropped me off a package from Midway with the Volquartsen extended mag release, recoil buffer, left-hand safety, and Power Custom auto bolt release, plus the Gun Guides take-down guide. Working mostly on commercial breaks, I had it all installed during NCIS, and operation of my 10/22T is much friendlier. Only issue is that the extended safety won't fit thru the stock when removing the barrel and action, but you can just slip the stock unit in before you disassemble, and put the Volq one in after replacing the action.

I can see now that one of the attractions of the 10/22 is that you can do really serious mods on the kitchen table without having to invest in milling machines, lathes, expensive tools, etc. Just some punches, drifts, hex wrenches and that's it. Most upgraded bits are pretty cheap. Even such hired-out work as bolt trueing and tuning can be had for relatively little.

Time to get out to a 100yd range and see what she'll do.

[ QUOTE ]
One new part I forgot about. An extended magazine release. It is worth its weight in gold. You can actually get the magazine to drop out while you are wearing gloves and without getting mad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The other thing I got was a slide release so the bolt drops by pulling to the rear and releasing. My 10/22 is what it is. I stopped with those two addons and a scope. (cheap bushnell 3x9). I purchased it to be an accessory gun to my mini 14 and I don't have any experience with, or any intention to add gear to make it a tack driver.

midway sells bell & carlson ext mag release for $5 but is in there flyer all the time for $4 the automatic bolt release can be made with rattail file (chainsaw file) by taking the tit off one of the holes save you $10 i bought mine without knowing but made some for friends using as a template and doesn't have to be precise.$100 adams and bennett barrel is the best mod I'm sure a $400 hart is good also.You will also need a stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.