1 day at the long range: how would you spend your time?

I agree on load #1. I would confirm zero. Shoot for groups at expected ranges using expect dope. Retain 30 rounds of this lot if you can. Clean the rifle at the range after your practice. Fire 2 five round groups of the 30 to reconfirm zero. Save the remaining 20 rounds for hunting. When you get back from the range reload the fired cases, just incase you need the extra ammo.

I personally would want to know the ammo I was using came from a known good lot. Probably doesnt matter but I like knowing that.

I have a mulie/pronghorn doe hunt next week. Going to the "Long range" range Friday to verify my load. This is the only range I have access to further than 200 yards, and its quite a drive, so i don't get there often.

I have narrowed my load down to 2 options. They are the same load, only difference is the jump:

First Load:
  • Great accuracy @ 100 (consistently .5 MOA and often smaller)
  • Great consistency (ES of 8-10, SD of 4.5)
  • Very slow for the cartridge
  • .090" jump
Second Load:
  • Good accuracy @ 100 (about .75 MOA)
  • Good consistency (Es of 17, SD of 6.7)
  • 65 FPS faster
  • at lands
My question is: should I just load up all my rounds at the of the more consistent load and get a lot of practice in with that one round, or split my rounds 50/50 to see how each performs at 300,400, 500 & 600? My practical max distance is going to be about 450 on the hunt since i haven't had enough time to familiarize myself intimately with this round (rarely do we get shots past 300).
Practically speaking, both rounds perform nearly identically for the distances Ill be shooting (2" of drop @ 500 and .6" of drift in a full value 15 MPH wind difference b/w the 2)

Specs:
H1000
Berger VLD Hunting 7mm 180gr
Help me here.....2" drop at 500?.....what is your 0....475 yards?

I have a mulie/pronghorn doe hunt next week. Going to the "Long range" range Friday to verify my load. This is the only range I have access to further than 200 yards, and its quite a drive, so i don't get there often.

I have narrowed my load down to 2 options. They are the same load, only difference is the jump:

First Load:
  • Great accuracy @ 100 (consistently .5 MOA and often smaller)
  • Great consistency (ES of 8-10, SD of 4.5)
  • Very slow for the cartridge
  • .090" jump
Second Load:
  • Good accuracy @ 100 (about .75 MOA)
  • Good consistency (Es of 17, SD of 6.7)
  • 65 FPS faster
  • at lands
My question is: should I just load up all my rounds at the of the more consistent load and get a lot of practice in with that one round, or split my rounds 50/50 to see how each performs at 300,400, 500 & 600? My practical max distance is going to be about 450 on the hunt since i haven't had enough time to familiarize myself intimately with this round (rarely do we get shots past 300).
Practically speaking, both rounds perform nearly identically for the distances Ill be shooting (2" of drop @ 500 and .6" of drift in a full value 15 MPH wind difference b/w the 2)

Specs:
H1000
Berger VLD Hunting 7mm 180gr
I would start by reconfirming both wind and drop values.... something isn't right. You are saying 2" drop and .6" drift @500.... If you are getting these numbers from a BP...better check your input data

I f they have them available. - see fi you can shoot some movers at your 450 range and see how that goes. I personally would not be doing a lot of experimenting just before a major hunt. I would shoot what I Know works.

The only thing I would add is that when you get to the range I wouldn't shoot off the bench at all. No benches in the woods that I've ever seen. Good luck

The only thing I would add is that when you get to the range I wouldn't shoot off the bench at all. No benches in the woods that I've ever seen. Good luck

There's all kinds of benches in the woods and desert...
Elk hunting...huge rock slanted uphill...kid killed his first idaho elk...300 yards...
Hunt in Oregon...had big herd of elk circling hillside..found juniper tree that i played the rifle across the bottom limbs...346 yards below the ear....
All kinds of trees, rocks, sage brush....and of course prone or kneeling....whatever works to be able to shoot....

But yes...shoot the round that doesn't have a chance to stick a bullet in your lands....smart choice.....

I think the guys have you covered on which load to use...

If you have only shot 200yds I'm not too sure I would worry too much about really stretching it out. You can certainly get a good grip on drops to 500yds but I think you should focus on shots you might be more successful at. When I say more successful, I mean making a clean hits at range!

I believe it would take a bit more than a day to be proficient at ranges much beyond 400yds, especially if you don't have an experienced long range shooter to give you tips.

Then there is dealing with the wind. I've been seriously working on my long range game for a year and half. Im trying to shoot at least twice a month, putting at least 100 rounds down range.

This past Sunday the wind was killing me. I was shooting a 6.5 Grendel with 107 SMK bullets at 8" steel plates at 400yds. The wind was at 7 o'clock gusting to close to 15mph. The position of the steel was just off to the side of the 300 yard berm. They are roughly 45 feet high. So the gusts were bouncing off the end of the berm giving me a 9 o'clock just before the target.

Nearly every miss was right. I had to slow down my rate of fire and pay more attention to the actual wind at the second I broke the shot.

My hit ratio went way up at that point! So the wind will be playing all kinds of games on you during a hunt and you don't normally get a couple "sight in shots" before you try to put lead on an animal.

Short story...be reasonable with your practice and your expectations on your hunt! The game animal deserves that!

In fairness, the 180 7mm vld with a much higher bc and faster velocity is not going to get pushed around like a 6.5 SMK. But yes, practice is important out to the distance the OP plans on shooting stuff.

Ignoring everything else, I wouldn't be wanting bullets touching the lands on a hunt. Too much chance for one to be a few thou long and jam and then you go to unload and stuff a bullet in your barrel and dump powder all inside your action.

This ^^^^^.

I'd take the other load and see how it does at long range. If it does well it would be the one I use.

I
There's all kinds of benches in the woods and desert...
Elk hunting...huge rock slanted uphill...kid killed his first idaho elk...300 yards...
Hunt in Oregon...had big herd of elk circling hillside..found juniper tree that i played the rifle across the bottom limbs...346 yards below the ear....
All kinds of trees, rocks, sage brush....and of course prone or kneeling....whatever works to be able to shoot....

But yes...shoot the round that doesn't have a chance to stick a bullet in your lands....smart choice.....
I would call that a improvised rest,but if you want to call that a bench have at it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.