“The gunny’s guns”

Oldschool280

sadly i keep seeing guns that belonged to R. Lee Ermey on gunbroker under the title "the gunny's guns" . Being sold and endorsed- authenticated by his son. I hope that when i check out, my wife and kids dont have to sell my rifles to get by. There's a nice -06 up now

I don't think they're being sold to "get by". If I remember right the proceeds are being donated to an organization called Young Marines. I'm sure the Gunny would be happy in this instance.

After a closer look I did see " a portion of the proceeds" will be donated, thats nice.

I've thought about my stuff also and have come to the conclusion that once I'm dead..
It really doesn't matter?

I think it may matter - if you want it to. I try to live up to a personal philosophy of " When I am gone from this Earth - all I leave behind are the memories I have made in the hearts and minds of others.". But - I think about the physical things that may have meaning to myself and others....and the things that - like apparently the Gunny.....items that can allow me to make one last warm fuzzy for someone else - albeit from the grave. Just me.....but I think it helps to shine a little light from the darkness.

Just last night I was out scouting Mule dear and considering giving some guns and glass to my kids 24 & 21 neither have kids yet. My thought process is to tell them the items have to stay in the family, if one or the other don't have kids I wanted them handed over to the other. My dad gave us kids and his grand kids most of his guns while he was still alive and got to watch us enjoy them. I think he also did this because there was 7 of us kids and he had the foresight to save a fight. He's seen plenty of them in his day!

I've seen a lot of people die in my time so far and realized how little the things you cherished mean to those who inherit them. As soon as you die, they will sell your house, furniture/art, cars, guns, etc. and spend the money on things they cherish. Just a fact of life. At the most, you can hope for 2 or 3 generations (great grandchildren) to remember you. After that, they will ask, "who is that in the picture?" Unless you are famous and how famous as even movie stars, presidents, etc. are soon forgotten.

Sadly I don't have any family members that are "in to" guns as I have been all my life.
Oh, sure, they see my goodies and swoon but even though I've given several guns to several family members, they don't go shooting, much less hunting, so I figure why bother. They'll just hang onto them (maybe) until some other toy of their liking comes along then they'll sell whatever I gifted them, pocket the cash or put it towards the latest electronic gizmo.
So in my waning years I'm seriously considering cleaning up and selling all but the few guns I DO shoot and put the money towards inevitable medical Bill's. (Sigh)
It is the myriad of reloading equipment and untold TENS of THOUSANDS of reloading components that'll likely end up in the landfill, and THAT disturbs me to no end, frankly.
But there are always the electronic boards where you can list stuff like that in the hope someone will give you a "reasonable" price for said items, but in my experience, most will look at the (whatever) and expect you to virtually GIVE it to them and then expect you to help load it in their trunk. LOL but SMDH, too.
Ah, so. What an inglorious ending, eh?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.