Savage stock help!

bmnkbrandon

Had a spare savage long action laying around so I decided to build a 7prc all around hunting rifle. Always been a fan of the savage actions due to the versatility of them, but have never built off of one. Problem is trying to find a good lightweight hunting stock. Planned on building this for the wife and kids to be able to use instead of my 338. Not looking to go the chassis route again. Is there anyone out there that makes a good solid lightweight stock? Trying to stay well below 40 ounces but after a lot of internet searching, I've come up empty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Build is a 7prc on savage long action with 28 inch spiral fluted McGowen number 4 barrel with muzzle brake. 180 bergers seat perfect in a case with a 5 thou jump. Barrel is long for a hunting rifle but we like them long or grab an 18 inch rifle for hunting in the woods.

The first 3 are in the 25-30 oz range (without bottom metal), and the Phoenix is right around your 40 oz limit.

Budget option. Right around 40 oz (My old style Long Range Hunter stock with cheek riser is right at 40 oz anyway)

The biggest problem that you run into with Savages is which Savage action you have. While the fact that it is LA gets rid of some of the problems with screw spacing, the type of magazine setup you have makes a difference. The Stocky's stocks are great, but be aware that they are set up for the newer bottom metal arrangements.

Savage definitely screwed the pooch by not standardizing some of the major items (action screw spacing, bottom metal setups, magazine types) over the years.

For lightweight I think you have what is available up above.

For inexpensive, I went with one of these after having McMillan inlet one for an older 110 flat back. Migrated it to another 110. Not lightweight, but not terrible.

For lightweight I think you have what is available up above.

For inexpensive, I went with one of these after having McMillan inlet one for an older 110 flat back. Migrated it to another 110. Not lightweight, but not terrible.

Just curious but did you use the factory mag or did you go another route like with the AICS or MDT mags ? Or is that not even possible ? I have two flat backs. And would like to use some form of a drop mag in one. Anything but Savage mags.

Blind mag (not a fan of DBM for a hunting rig, just something else to forget/drop).

The 338L started out with HS Precision and the factory DBM. When it migrated to the McMillan, I went blind mag. Unfortunately they do not inlet for these anymore. I had to send them the BA to get them to do it. It may be worth reaching out to them. They still have stocks that fit Savage, but do not inlet them. You could get an ultralight and have a gunsmith do it, but it will be $$$. I figured I wasn't looking to spend that on this factory action. So went with the Bell and Carlson. Not a carry all day up and down the mountain rifle so it worked.

Another option is HS Precision.

Here is the factory DBM that came with the 338 L. You could do that with the Pure Precision stock, I think they inlet for that one, but not my thing.

IMG_5683.jpeg
IMG_5678.jpeg

Last edited:
Blind mag (not a fan of DBM for a hunting rig, just something else to forget/drop).

The 338L started out with HS Precision and the factory DBM. When it migrated to the McMillan, I went blind mag. Unfortunately they do not inlet for these anymore. I had to send them the BA to get them to do it. It may be worth reaching out to them. They still have stocks that fit Savage, but do not inlet them. You could get an ultralight and have a gunsmith do it, but it will be $$$. I figured I wasn't looking to spend that on this factory action. So went with the Bell and Carlson. Not a carry all day up and down the mountain rifle so it worked.

Another option is HS Precision.

Here is the factory DBM that came with the 338 L. You could do that with the Pure Precision stock, I think they inlet for that one, but not my thing.

View attachment 573606View attachment 573607
Thanks I looked into the Accurate mags before. And for the round count they offer. I may as well just use my blind mag. Maybe I'll see if I can find a drop plate set up.

Thanks I looked into the Accurate mags before. And for the round count they offer. I may as well just use my blind mag. Maybe I'll see if I can find a drop plate set up.
Those mags don't let you load long anyway. I made the 338 L a single shot. That one isn't getting shot at the rapid rate anyway.

I have LA Savage 300WM build that I put together using a 116 action. The first stock I had it in was a Boyds, but that didn't last long as it was way too heavy. I then went to a HS Precision that is a spitting image to the one that Shane posted above (see pic below). It now sits in a Stocky's VG2 stock as I much prefer the weight and vertical grip on the Stocky's. I did have to modify that Stocky's magazine inlet a little to accommodate the older style bottom metal as it is not completely flat like the newer style is. It was a 5 minute job with a dremel and while it doesn't look perfect it is completely covered by the bottom metal, so it is no big deal. I also had to open up the area where the barrel nut sits as I have a PVA barrel nut. If you have the factory nut, no mods will be needed there. The dimensions on the action inlet and the sides of the bottom metal were perfect. So much so, that I don't need to bed it.

HS Precision stock
IMG-2906.jpg

Stocky's stock
IMG_3341.jpg

I went with the Stocky's VG2 for my Savage 300WM. Can't remember which dbm bottom metal ( several builds going on), but 3.85 outside dimension. Inlet is a little tight and will have to be modified slightly. Also need to modify for nut as I'm using an aftermarket nut. Still waiting for a barrel (almost 7 months when they said 4). Stock seems solid and has a descent pad.

Is the BM what came with the rifle? Was it previously in the HS precision stock/FCP?

Curious as I have thought about trying to have that inletted for my McMillan, but not sure if I want to go that route and add another pound to it.

I have LA Savage 300WM build that I put together using a 116 action. The first stock I had it in was a Boyds, but that didn't last long as it was way too heavy. I then went to a HS Precision that is a spitting image to the one that Shane posted above (see pic below). It now sits in a Stocky's VG2 stock as I much prefer the weight and vertical grip on the Stocky's. I did have to modify that Stocky's magazine inlet a little to accommodate the older style bottom metal as it is not completely flat like the newer style is. It was a 5 minute job with a dremel and while it doesn't look perfect it is completely covered by the bottom metal, so it is no big deal. I also had to open up the area where the barrel nut sits as I have a PVA barrel nut. If you have the factory nut, no mods will be needed there. The dimensions on the action inlet and the sides of the bottom metal were perfect. So much so, that I don't need to bed it.

HS Precision stock
View attachment 573725

Stocky's stock
View attachment 573726
What bottom "metal" did you use for this stock? It looks like you are using the factory magazine. Is that what you are using?

What savage LA do you have? Older stagger feed blind mag, newer centerfeed with removable mag?

Stocky stuff is inletted for the Current Ultralite DBM system and WILL NOT work with older staggerfeed blind mags. I am living this hell right now. I have a stockys carbon stock and an older staggerfeed blind mag action.

Savage says they don't offer parts to convert it. I *think* I could make it work, but if it can't the stock is trash, and I will have purchased a DBM setup that I can't use.

I am looking at the stock and I think if I open it up for the top bolt release and open the action a little for the magazine it would work, but I would be out $600 if it doesn't.

So I am on the fence of returning the Stockies stock and ordering a Bell and Carlson which is over 1lb heavier. I am looking for other options too.