hunting boots

Yes, I did note that they are "made in Europe", not the US. But when it comes to my feet I have to go with what will actually work. Since I insist on all leather choices are limited, and I have fit issues so the actual style and last makes critical differences. If my feet are crippled from bad fit, I can't get there at all. Those Owyhees look like they could replace my glued together, long discontinued Vasques. Vasques went to the Devil. I used to use Danners, but their lasts/styles changed. Meindls are very nice, but the toe box is too low and it blisters the tops of my toes. I really wish Cabela's still had their old 9" boot.

Last edited:
Do you know all leather hunting boots of de4cent quality are very hard to find!! nylon w/leather trim is the w3ay know. we need all-american made shoes again along with blue jeans! apparently money don't matter cause 600$ boots seems the normal Sick economy!!!
Limmer boots are the only boots I wear. There are two different lines, an off the shelf that's made in Germany, and custom made boots that are made in the US. I have some major foot problems and tried just about everything out there. Limmer boots are the only thing I've found that are comfortable. Even the best boots caused me so much pain that grocery shopping would take me down for a couple of days. Limmers have put me back out in the back country. They're all one piece leather outers that are about a quarter of an inch thick with leather lining. They're made for mountain climbing. The biggest problem is the break in. The off the shelf model fits me perfectly so I've never had a problem with blisters or any of the normal problems with breaking in a new pair of boots. Since they're the only things I wear, it doesn't take me as long to break them in but it takes a couple of months to break them in enough where they'll bend up by the toes when I stand on my tip-toes. The last pair I bought were $450 but it's been a while. With a resole once in a while they last me 10 to 15 years! I'm on my 4th pair. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and they get pretty beat up at work. If you only use them when you're hunting or out in the woods a pair of Limmer boots will probably last a lifetime.

Not all Danners are resoleable. I emailed Danner when my soles were worn. They said my model wasn't a candidate to be resoled.
The Meindls I had, the soles fell off after about 7 years. They couldn't reglue the soles.
I bought some Lowa hikers last winter, so far, they work fine.

Not all Danners are resoleable. I emailed Danner when my soles were worn. They said my model wasn't a candidate to be resoled.
The Meindls I had, the soles fell off after about 7 years. They couldn't reglue the soles.
I bought some Lowa hikers last winter, so far, they work fine.
7yrs sounds good to me lol. Better than some others iv had.

Thank you. Good to know.

The guy who made my orthotics, now retired unfortunately, used to make custom boots. Peter Morin. His boots were beautiful, and he could make them the perfect shape for anyone's foot.

I asked him why he had become a pedorthist if he made custom boots. The answer was that although he could make boots that fit people perfectly, sometimes his customers just couldn't have comfortable feet in spite of that because the support under the foot was inadequate. So, to make the perfect boot, he learned the trade of a pedorthist (which took enough schooling for a PhD) so he could also create custom footbeds. The support at the bottom of the boot, I can attest, is critically important. Especially when you are really loading your feet and particularly under the conditions tough mountain terrain impose. And for those of you with extra high arches, those custom footbeds are a godsend when for the first time you actually have proper support under your arch and mid-tarsal area. I used to get the equivalent of carpal tunnel in my feet on long backpacking hikes or under heavy loads of meat. No longer, as long as my orthotics last. Orthotics are not just for flat-footed people. Anyone can benefit, but especially those of us with lower than average or higher than average arches.